raymond ruiz's "green lantern" accurate 197

Started by alantani, June 05, 2013, 10:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

raymond is a great guy, but he get's these wild ideas sometimes.  this time he got it in his head that he wanted a green and black reel.  he brought it over a few months ago and asked me to disassemble his reel and bag the parts because he wanted to turn his black accurate in to a green and black accurate.  not a problem!  he brought it back to me for re=assembly and this is the final result. 

and here is the name of the company that did the work.  he took it to one shop first and they did a horrible job.  then he brought it to jose and he was done in a day.  he said the price was reasonable, $120 for all this work.  it's the polishing that is hard. 

gentlemen, meet the green lantern!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Nice.  My wife would love that reel.

So, who's Jose?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

it's jose negrete of arnold's metal finishing in santa clara.  their website is http://www.arnoldmetalfinishing.com/anodizing.html

they cannot put chrome on brass.  that's is the next shop we need to find. 

Cortez_Conversions

I use Arnolds for all my plating and polishing.

Great people and fair pricing!
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

HOLEINTHEWATER

ScupperSkipper

I have a Calstar 196-7 (new) that is wrapped with green and gold in an acid kind of art.  That reel with 15# would be the cat's meow.  I have a gold SX on it, but that reel is trick!

kmstorm64

So what does it cost to have a reel like that done?
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

otghoyt

Sure they can put chrome on brass.  Maybe not in Cali. but in Nevada or Arizona where the state simply goes by EPA laws instead of some California Dreamin laws.  Let your fingers do the walking and call somebody.

It is the old school  triple plating process.  Copper first then nickle then chrome.  Covers a multitude of previous sins.  Bad news is...it's THICK.  You'll have to ask the shop but I wouldn't doubt it goes .0005 to .001  Just for reference a piece of cheapo printer paper is .004.    And I always tip out the guy buffing the chrome.  It is money well spent.

Insane reel!!!!!!!!!!

David Hall

Truly a beautiful reel.
Gives me ideas for my 270

sdlehr

Looks green and gold to me - reminds me of that blue and black dress that people thought were other colors - black and gold maybe? I bet it's the same thing going on....
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

anglingarchitect

Its a beauty no doubt. Looked at the pictures a bunch but just noticed. Whats with the duct tape, scratch protection?

mark

pompano joe

Would love a little more information on this one...I'm always looking for coating/plating solutions.  My assumption is that the gold is original anodization and polished?  Is the green a coating or re-anodization?  Love the reel, BTW.
Pompano Joe

alantani

yeah, the old anodizing was chemically stripped, off, the bare aluminum was polished, and then everything was re-anodized. 

pompano joe

Thanks AT!

Quote from: alantani on April 25, 2017, 09:00:24 PM
yeah, the old anodizing was chemically stripped, off, the bare aluminum was polished, and then everything was re-anodized. 
Pompano Joe