SHIMANO`s OLD GOLD....TRITON Mark 1

Started by basto, June 06, 2013, 03:11:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Rancanfish

Thanks Basto.. these were made until at least 1987.

And another note...the clamp from a Newell 332 fits exactly the same.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

basto

Quote from: Rancanfish on October 24, 2016, 04:54:30 PM
Thanks Basto.. these were made until at least 1987.

And another note...the clamp from a Newell 332 fits exactly the same.

good to know about the Newell clamp. I think it would be a stronger design.

Rancanfish

Well, I cannot figure out how these darn reels work.  I think when the gear sleeve turns it's supposed to release the push button, but it appears stuck in the down position...?  All parts are there on the set plate.

Edit: Removed my rambling about an issue that disappeared as soon as the reel was assembled properly.

basto

Have you tried rotating the sleeve to a different position so the kick pins are in placed differently?
Might pay to take it apart right down to the retractors and rebuild it again.
Sorry, can`t help anymore than this. I have never had a problem with mine after cleaning and rebuilding.
Basto

Rancanfish

Thanks Basto for the reply.

I have two set plates, identical, and in good condition.  I have the same result on either.   I cannot find a position that causes both levers to trip at the same time.  The first lever trips as the pin rotates along it, and then jams. It's got me talking to myself....

1/15/17 Edit: Again, removed rambling explanation of my reels troubles that were solved by installing a missing piece.

Shark Hunter

Randy,
If no one else in Cali can help you with this.
Send it to me.
No guarantees, but I will do my best.
Daron
Life is Good!

Rancanfish

Wanted to update.  Got all my 'Mark's' working.  I literally worked on them all day.  Took them apart over and over until I figured out why the one worked, but the others did not.

Turns out that various parts were missing, which solved the problem with the one I was messing with earlier in this thread.

I scrounged around and found squidder drags that fit perfect, so took care of that too.

One had a dog that was intermittent of and on for about an hour.  Tearing down and reassembling was getting pretty tiring.

And the last one was assembled completely from parts which I had stashed for a few months.

Thanks go out to Jay (Fishgrain) and Doug (JDL) for coming up with the odd parts.

basto

Glad to hear you got it sorted. When that happens to me, I don`t sleep well.
Basto

Rancanfish

Thanks Basto,

On the reel I actually had left the metal washer that goes on the sleeve first, under the gear, off by accident.  ::)  Part # 26. That's what happens when you start, then stop, throw everything in a bag because something else came up.  I knew I had all the drag parts, so when I dumped them out again to work on the reel, I ASSumed I had them all. The missing washer was still in the bag! When I again returned to the schematic yesterday in frustration, I had my 'doh!' moment.  ::)

Going on to the second reel I discovered it was missing there also! I had purchased the reel and never worked on it. I found that substituting an old brass Jigmaster keyed washer fit the sleeve shaft well. It held the dog down properly without interfering with any other works. It had a very slightly smaller diameter than the stainless JM one.

I wish I had decided to go back and look at the schematic much earlier.  Very humbling to say the least.

But, I can literally put these together in my sleep now.  ;D

Shark Hunter

Glad you finally got it sorted Randy.
There is no better Satisfaction than doing it yourself and know its done right. ;)
Life is Good!

Rancanfish

Well, circumstances make this collectible expendable.  So it's going to be put in the for sale thread.

Thought I would mention it here first for the people that admire these old Shimano's.

PERRO

Just sharing photos of my two : Mark ! & Mark 2 , which have only been used in freshwater ;D

Rancanfish

Did you remove your post and put it back?  I saw them before in this thread I thought.

PERRO

I also thought, I had previously posted the photos, on " This Thread "  .. Don't ever , remember of deleting anything on this forum .....? ?   :o

HMMM.. Must have been on the below thread !!

Truth reel
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=19542.0