alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial okuma makaira 50 II rebuild - 2/16/2010
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
September 22, 2018, 10:31:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: okuma makaira 50 II rebuild - 2/16/2010  (Read 74253 times)
shanara

« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2015, 11:33:20 AM »

No problem it just pulled out
alantani
admin
Administrator

« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2015, 11:49:05 AM »

sorry about not getting back to you right away. glad it worked out. 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!
shanara

« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2015, 12:29:23 PM »

I guess you were a little busy winding in yellowtail. Congratulations on your successful trip
jimbo450

« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2015, 03:54:20 PM »

HI Alan, I just serviced my MAK 8ll and to my surprise the spool bearings on this model have the bearing covers removed so they are OPEN bearings. Yes, the factory man did a good job applying grease to all inside cover surfaces. The drag washer looked pretty dry so I gave it a bath in Cal's Grease and wiped off. I didn't attempt to dig out the right side plate bearing as I have not set up my grease gun and grease(blue) in the bearing packer I bought from you(another project to do yet). This reel was easy to service and guys say "oh you only used it a couple days it should be fine". Well, I found 2 nice sized sardine scales inside the left sideplate cover and now I better get more tape on my right thumb as this reel has great freespool now. I wish I had the time to service this before departing on a 6 day RRlll trip. I have a Penn Torque 25NLD2 torn apart right now also. Different design on the right side plate with double dogs(no spring assemblies like the MAK's). Same type of design on the drag washer plate idea using a couple small screws to secure to the right side of the spool. The reel foot is not screwed into the base like the MAK, it is there permanently. Both reels performed great succumbing yellowtail and schoolie YFT effortlessly. The low gear on the MAK helped in getting a 50# Black Seabass off the ocean floor. Great reels from Penn!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: