okuma makaira 50 II rebuild - 2/16/2010

Started by alantani, February 17, 2010, 08:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Normslanding

tacklerat

Hi guys,

Can anyone shed any light on why the warranty given on the makaira differ from where it was purchased country wise.over here in Australia they are giving them a lifetime warranty. Seeming this is an older thread now and the SEa model has also come out have the bad habits of dry bearings been dealt with during the assembly process,just wondering if anyone knows more,thanks
Regards

alantani

it's likely a decision made by the marketing department.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

tacklerat

thanks alan,

just thought it was unusual.   ???

fifis101

I asked the same question to Okuma Australia myself and they just replied with "why would we cover the warranty of a reel that wasn't bought here". I was curious as I bought my Makaira 80W from South Africa. With a bit of effort as well as paying $100 in postage on top of the reel cost, it was still less than 2/3 the price I could buy the reel here in Australia.

Ballsie1

Hi Guys,
How are people rating these reels 4 years on. I am looking for a 2 speed bottom bashing reel, like the 8 or 10 sized Makaira. It will be an online purchase as in Aus they are asking $799. would you guys rate this reel higher then a 2 speed accurate?
any feed back is appreciated
Ta Ben

alantani

mine are still good. some were cracked open and serviced, some were not.  can't remember which.  i have one out of eight with a rumble.  the rest are fine. 

Normslanding

I have had and own more than 20 Makairas. The 8, 10, and 15 with the 2.1:1 low are great bottom fishing reels. Also the new Andros "a" 12II will have the 2.1 and will be less weight, and less money. Also the "a" can have a 6.4:1 giving the reel great versatility. Some friends in Mexico charted every day. There Makaira 10's are faded. But I opened one up and was impressed how well the looked. They are greased, and oiled when they have time. They perform as new.

cjinscore

Alan,

Great tutorial on this reel, I have been looking into getting one for awhile and may just have to pick one up after reading.  I also really like how you have that list of ratings at the end, would you consider updating that on maybe a yearly basis as new reels come out?  Would love to know how your opinions change as manufacturers come out with new innovations.

Thanks!

alantani

i was just thinking about that this morning.  before okuma made these improvments, there was very little incentive for companies to change.  think of a herd of animals all shoulder to shoulder.  as long as they all stayed together, they were relatively safe.  but get one to break ranks, make a run for it, and suddenly more will do that.  so it is with reel manufacturers. 

okuma was the first to break ranks with greased carbon fiber drags, corrosion x HD on all the internals surfaces, open spool bearings and non-spool bearings that are packed with grease. 

daiwa very quietly changed all their drag washers to greased carbon fiber.  the reels are still dry on the inside and bearings are still a problem.

shimano is finally starting to put greased carbon fiber drags in their single speed high end reels.  they already had them in their two speed lever drags.  bearings are still a problem.

penn is using an odd blue grease.  they are coating the insides of their reels and bearings are still a problem. 

accurate is greasing their drags and the insides of their reels, but radial bearings are still a problem.  AR bearings are also a problem.

avet, ah, avet.  dry drags?  still?  c'mon.......

cjinscore

Good to see they are attempting some change.  So do you still feel currently, the Makaira is the only A-?

shanara

I have a new mak50 sea where I have managed to break off one of the 6 countersunk screws that hold on the cover plate key 405 my question is this subjected to drag pressure when drag is applied or it just a waterproof cover(and something to bolt the clicker plate onto). I can live with 5 screws to hold the clicker on but will get a new spool if it is subjected to drag pressure.

Hoping someone can help

Regards Gary

alantani

you'll be fine!  the other five screws will hold without a problem!

shanara

Thanks Alan so it does not get loaded with drag pressure, it's just part of the location for the ears on the carbon drag washer ( and something to bolt the clicker plate on - the five remaining screws look much less likely to come out than the 4 tiny screws on my tiagra 30's)
Regards Gary

shanara

Alan can you help? After I have removed the waterproof cover,the drag assembly and thrust bearing away from the right side of the spool and removed the clicker ratchet from the left side, will the spool shaft with the two bearings just pull out from the left side? I am replacing a damaged spool
Regards Gary
I just could not live with an imperfect favourite reel