5+1 Drag Stack for Penn 500/501 reels

Started by Bryan Young, June 15, 2013, 05:49:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Prototype received.

As you can see, the lasted eared washer sits well inside Newell's 4:1 gear for Penn's 500 and 501

and with all washers in the stack

Testing is the next step.  I want to see how well the drags hold up.  I will be installing the set in a Penn 500 and let the testing begin.  Will probably start at 5# and work my way up to 25# of drag.  Not that these reels should be fished at that limit, but a solid 15# of drag for these reels would be awesome.  I hope the gears hold up.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

I'm more than willing to test them in Cabo next month!!

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

BMITCH

This looks great Bryan. Can't wait to see how it does. Even if you get 20# out of them it's still a great improvement. Good luck and be safe. Oh yeah being safe is your job, right?
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Norcal Pescador

Looking good, Bryan. Carbontex 0.5mm and Dawn's metal washers as well?

Bryan will be safe, no electricity involved. ;D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

john2244

Hello Bryan,

How is this different from what you have done in the past with a 5 stack in your PG 251 ??  As I remember your spool had some flex and rubbed on the frame.  I did the same 5 stack in my PG 255 and did not have the flex because the narrow spool. I tested my 255 to 22 or 23# of drag(too much for that reel).  I later took out the 5 stack and went back to the 3 stack because the drag came on too quick.  Don't the JM reels run the risk of damage with too much drag ???  Seem to me 12# of drag is more than enough for any Jigmaster reel, stock or with an after market frame.

John

BMITCH

Bryan Young

Hi John,

The difference is that this set fits into a normal 500/501 gear set. The other one fits in the 505/506 drag stack. 12# of drag is very reasonable for a jigmaster, but with the creation of super lines that we have today, it may be possible to fish these reels with a higher class rating of lines for those who love these old reels and does not want to buy new gear. It provides options. BTW, we can fit a 7+1 in the 505/506 main gear. This will definitely strip those brass gears as I have stripped a set already with my 5+1 drag set in my PG255.

Hi Rob,

These do not use SmoothDrag's metal washers. They were specially cut to fit in the 500/501 gear set to bring the drag range for 500/501 in the same drag range as the 501/506 with a 5+1 stack. Since the metal washers are thinner, I want to be sure that te metal washers do not deform at various drag pressures.

I hope this answers your questions.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Hi Guys/Gals,

Ran my test today.  I should have done it earlier in the day. Man it's hot out there.  Anyway, as I digress.  I ran my test today.  I started at 5# to work in the drags.  I then ramped it up to 10#, 15#, 18# then 20# at reel (rod held straight as I pulled line off).  I clipped the 80# test around the tree and ran with rod in hand.15-20 yards for 5 runs each.  I think I should have started at 20# because I got slower and slower.  Not sure if it's because I'm so out of shape or because pulling 20# of drag is a lot of work.  the reel was a Penn 500 with 4:1 steel gears, SS gear sleeve.  After the test, the reel is still smooth and so are the drags.  I knew the drags would perform flawlessly, but I was still skeptical, especially with the new, thinner metal washers.  My theory was that the force would be distributed through the 2 eared washers equally instead of 1 and likewise with the keyed washers, 3 versus 2.  I must say, my hypothesis appears to be right.  The drag stack did become hot though as the handle arm was hot to the touch after all of those runs.  I'm going to give the go-ahead to start producing the drags.  Will have a cost shortly.

Here are the pics of the drags after the test.  Oh, I didn't go up to 25# as I had hoped.  Frankly, it felt scary running across the field at 20# of drag waiting for the reel to misalign or line to go snap...neither of which happened.  I am very impressed with the jigmaster reel, more now than ever.  Frame did not warp.  Free spool is great.  Anyway, here are the pics.

Bryan

Ron Jones

Super freaking cool!!

Will you have a set ready by mid August? I would love to take my Tuna special with these in it to Cabo. Spooled with 60 pound test it will be a great reef reel.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Bryan, how did the washer under the gear do? Mine are showing signs of shredding at around 25lb. I will be pushing a 6/0 as far as I can and see what happens to that washer.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 15, 2013, 05:25:18 PM

Hi Rob,

These do not use SmoothDrag's metal washers. They were specially cut to fit in the 500/501 gear set to bring the drag range for 500/501 in the same drag range as the 501/506 with a 5+1 stack. Since the metal washers are thinner, I want to be sure that te metal washers do not deform at various drag pressures.

I hope this answers your questions.

Just curious if they were stock Penns or Smoothdrag. I thought I measured Dawn's and they were a little thinner than Penns, plus being ground flat. Custom cut washers? You are serious! :o

Maybe for the next test, you can tie off to the bumper and Noa drive the car. ;D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

BMITCH

Good work Bryan, as soon as you get a cost up I NEED a couple sets and also a couple sets for the 505/506. I can't say enough about how much I appreciate everyone's hard work and ingenuity. This site has been a nice distraction and a great hobby.
Bob
BTW will you be including the under main gear washer in the sets? For me that would be a great help.

broadway

Good question, Sal... how's the lil' guy under there?
Count me in on 4 sets (to start)... between Alan's New gears and your washer set (and my tiburon topless frames and custom handles and ss yoke and ss gear sleeve) I'm hoping to use my 112h for trolling wire :o
Talk about a test! ...constant tight drag with hard and fast initial runs, accompanied by the need to clamp her down if another Thresher hits... CAN'T WAIT!
Thanks
Dom

Bryan Young

The washer set will include 6 drag washers.  We are also trying to get a decent price on Bellevilles that will fit perfectly between the top of the stack and the sideplate without rubbing.

Bryan Young

Sal, I only went up to 20# and the drag washers did fine. I was afraid to go higher because I was holding te rod with the reel while running with the rod and reel in hand. I was afraid that the little jigmaster would break apart while in my have and that would not be good. If I had a machine where I would watch it behind a shield would be different.