how much money should you spend?

Started by alantani, June 16, 2013, 04:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

On the plus side you can do these upgrades incrementally, you don't have to do it all at once. A little here, a little there and before you know it you could've just bought a Trinidad!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

bestout

Quote from: MarkT on April 19, 2015, 03:47:13 AM
On the plus side you can do these upgrades incrementally, you don't have to do it all at once. A little here, a little there and before you know it you could've just bought a Trinidad!
:-[ :'( :'( :-\ :-[ :-X
The monsters in my head are scared......

steelfish

even the all mighty trinidad could be improved so their total cost goes higher too, I know that cuz have one, and now its better than new, I bought it used, tho. so no big dollars expended for nice and improved trini

chance the crapdanium drags for carbontex
change the stock dog for a triniDC dog and spring
change the stock handle

nothing of that is a MUST but once you do it you now it worthed

The Baja Guy

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: steelfish on June 12, 2015, 03:44:54 PM

You can also add 4.9:1 SS Gears  ;)

even the all mighty trinidad could be improved so their total cost goes higher too, I know that cuz have one, and now its better than new, I bought it used, tho. so no big dollars expended for nice and improved trini

chance the crapdanium drags for carbontex
change the stock dog for a triniDC dog and spring
change the stock handle

nothing of that is a MUST but once you do it you now it worthed

steelfish

The Baja Guy

vilters

I would say the dog and drag upgrades are a must, if you want the reel to perform properly over time!

DaBigOno

Upgrading a Jigmaster:

Donor reel                                                          $20
SS gear sleeve.                                                   $28
Byan's 1+5 drag Kit.                                            $25
Black Pearl package C.                                         $75
Cortez Conversion side plates.                              $83
Tiburon/Accurate Frame.                                      $65-$100  (depending on color)
Tiburon/Accurate Spool.                                       $65-$75    (depending on color)
Counter balanced SS arm (Motive Fab).                 $25
Handle (Black Pearl's EVA-45).                              $20

Total                                                                   $406-$451

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

surfcaster

It's funny how I refuse to pay more than $20 for a jigmaster.
then the sky is the limit upgrading everything. 

steelfish

Quote from: surfcaster on January 29, 2016, 09:21:34 PM
It's funny how I refuse to pay more than $20 for a jigmaster.
then the sky is the limit upgrading everything. 

the real funny part is the next

Donor reel                                                          $20
SS gear sleeve.                                                   $28      original sleeve discarted
Byan's 1+5 drag Kit.                                            $25       original Drag discarted   
Black Pearl package C.                                         $75       original parts discarted   
Cortez Conversion side plates.                              $83        original plates discarted
Tiburon/Accurate Frame.                                      $65-$100  original frame posts discarted
Tiburon/Accurate Spool.                                       $65-$75    original spool discarted
Counter balanced SS arm (Motive Fab).                 $25          original handle discarted
Handle (Black Pearl's EVA-45).                              $20         original handle already discarted

nothing left of the original reel, why would you want to find a good shape donor reel if there is no part that will be keep on the tanked-up reel?
dont get me wrong Im guilty for having many of these upgrades.
The Baja Guy

DaBigOno

Quote from: steelfish on January 30, 2016, 01:27:51 AM
the real funny part is the next

nothing left of the original reel, why would you want to find a good shape donor reel if there is no part that will be keep on the tanked-up reel?
dont get me wrong Im guilty for having many of these upgrades.

you're right that most parts will be discarded from the donor reel, but you will still need #16, 17,18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 23A.

I also prefer to fish with the clicker on  >:(, so #35, 36, 62 & 63 will also be needed.

i guess you could buy them seperately from MysticParts.com which will cost about $20
https://www.mysticparts.com/

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

btw:  a $20 Jigmaster will probably be one thats been "rode hard & put away wet"   ::)
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Cortez_Conversions

I bet buying those new parts will cost you more than $20 bucks.
With all the spares, you will be on the slippery slope of reel repair and collecting, building, hoarding....
Take the discarded parts, buy another donor reel, strip it and marry the two. now you have one stocker for horse trading and more spares.
So you buy another donor reel.... ;D ;D ;D ;D
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Alto Mare

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on January 30, 2016, 02:05:36 AM
I bet buying those new parts will cost you more than $20 bucks.
With all the spares, you will be on the slippery slope of reel repair and collecting, building, hoarding....
Take the discarded parts, buy another donor reel, strip it and marry the two. now you have one stocker for horse trading and more spares.
So you buy another donor reel.... ;D ;D ;D ;D
:D :D...you've been watching me Tom.
As I've mentioned before, this isn't an investment, well, it could be if parts keep going up in cost ;D.
Do it for yourself and must of all, have fun.
Al, your numbers above are right on, but at the very top. If you shop around and take the spare parts in consideration, you could get it done for less than $350.
The good thing about it, you can't purchase this reel anywhere, unless it came out of our factory here ;D.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Maxed Out

:D :D...you've been watching me Tom.
As I've mentioned before, this isn't an investment, well, it could be if parts keep going up in cost ;D.
Al, your numbers above are right on, but at the very top. If you shop around and take the spare parts in consideration, you could get it done for less than $350.
The good thing about it, you can't purchase this reel anywhere, unless it came out of our factory here ;D.

Sal

[/quote]

That's the icing on the cake Sal, I couldn't agree more :)
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Ron Jones

When I retire I think I'll start a kick-starter campaign to get the seed money to start assembling reels. I bet someone could make money and deliver market beating product. Alan Chui will be close with his 113HNN frame kits, we need a Jigmaster also.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

steelfish

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 30, 2016, 04:38:34 AM

....... this isn't an investment, ......

well, I have learned from many hobbies that I had have that almost any upgrade or improvement cant count as investment, this apply when you upgrade parts and accesories on your oldie/classic car, muscle/sport car, reels, RC trucks, DRSL camera lens, etc.. its all for self enjoyment or to be sell to another lunatic/hobbyist like myself

saludos Sal,

- Alex
The Baja Guy