Checking some Jigmaster's gears

Started by Alto Mare, June 19, 2013, 06:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Today I decided to check out some gears that Irish Jigger and Keta sent me. The test was done with a bridge plate from Tom ( Irish Jigger). The carbon fiber washers were made out of a 1.30mm laminated sheet.
I started with Lee's insert, this one is octagan

the max I got was 26lb
Next was Irish Jigger's hex

His maxed out at 29lb
and lastly my gears

mine maxed out at 28.5.
Only two carbon washers were making contact on mine and Lee's, the third was just a spacer.
On Irish jigger's gears all three were making contact, Tom made his insert about 1/8" taller than Lees.
All gears did good, Tom's gears did best

Keep in mind this is just a test, these should not be fished at those settings. BTW I got 14lb.with a standard Jigmaster.
Take a look at the pinion, one of the tooth on the top right came off

The carbon washer under the gear got all shredded, but held up. I'm thinking teflon is a better washer there, or add a metal shim first and then the carbon washer
you can see it better here at the bottom
I'm very happy with the results, with our upgrades, these reels should be able to handle 15lbto 18lb with no issues.
Lee, you need to make some more inserts, but they need to be stainless and on the Jigmaster about 1/8" taller. I hope you'll make us some, I would love to have some for the squidder, jigmaster, 113H and 114H. Yours did just as good as Tom's, his got more drags because I was able to use three washers.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Thanks Sal. Thatʻs Great information.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Cone

That's a nice bend on that rod, Sal. Thanks for the info. If Penn had you on the payroll they would never have been sold.   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Irish Jigger

Good information there Sal,thank's for collating all the data from different sources. Your hard work will certainly make these great little reels even better.

redsetta

Great work lads.
It's a fantastic upgrade - ingenious and practical.
Threads like this are what I enjoy most about Alan's site.
Well done Sal, Lee and Tom.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Keta

26lb-30lb is good!  I can cut the octagon adapters out of thicker material too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

BMITCH

Sal, great work! One question though....the cf washer under the main gear was compromised, right. Was it the ends of it where the dogs teeth are? If so what if you were to have a smaller OD washer that didn't extend out past the dog teeth? Would that help? Just a question.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

George4741

WOW! :o  With drag figures like this, who needs a stock 113H.
  George
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

Thanks guys!
Quote from: BMITCH on June 20, 2013, 12:34:47 AM
Sal, great work! One question though....the cf washer under the main gear was compromised, right. Was it the ends of it where the dogs teeth are? If so what if you were to have a smaller OD washer that didn't extend out past the dog teeth? Would that help? Just a question.
Bob
Yes it was at the tip of the ratchet. There are a few things we could do, a teflon washer might be the easiest solution, or we could soften the edge of the teeth on the ratchet, but that's a lot of work. Another idea would be a stainless shim first and then the fiber washer.
Keep in mind that I pushed the reel way past where we would be fishing it and the washer still held up :-\
Quote from: Keta on June 19, 2013, 11:07:37 PM
26lb-30lb is good!  I can cut the octagon adapters out of thicker material too.
Lee, if you decide to go with these, I'll take a dozen of each, after everyone has been taking care of, of course. I would like them for the squidder, jigmaster, 113H and 114H. Is it possible for you to make them out of stainless steel? I know they would cost more, but stainless would be nice. The thickness of the wall is good. Let me know if you're interested.
Quote from: George4741 on June 20, 2013, 01:22:46 AM
WOW! :o  With drag figures like this, who needs a stock 113H.
  George
No George, that was just a test to see if the gears and carbon fiber washers would hold up. The pinion was in the beginning stages of failing, if it didn't have that stainless ring at the top, it would have blown up.
Still, having a jigmaster that could handle around18 lb is a good thing ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 20, 2013, 02:00:17 AM
Lee, if you decide to go with these, I'll take a dozen of each, after everyone has been taking care of, of course. I would like them for the squidder, jigmaster, 113H and 114H. Is it possible for you to make them out of stainless steel? I know they would cost more, but stainless would be nice. The thickness of the wall is good. Let me know if you're interested.

Now that we know it works I'll do the other drawings, I grabbed a 113H gear and eared washer this afternoon after seeing this post to start.  I'll check to see what thickness SS I have and try to get some cut.  I need the thickness of IJ's adapter.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

redsetta

Sounds great Lee.
If it all works out (and, as Sal noted, once everyone's been seen to), I'd be keen on four Jigmaster and four 113H.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Lee, Tom's insert is just about the same as yours 1.5mm in thickness. You don't need to be exact on thickness, if it's a little thicker it would be better. I wouldn't go lower than 1.5mm though. If you find anything close to 2mm that would be great.
I've taken this reel apart a half dozen of times today to do this test and I don't feel like doing it again tho check Tom's insert ;D.
It is safe to say that if you use 1.30mm carbon fiber washers, an insert of 6mm in hight would be perfect for the jigmaster.

Keta

I'll take down my 500 and check again, I think my adapter was about as thick as I could go in my reel.  Did the CF washer cutting jig help?

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Lee, I didn't try it yet, today I was doing three different shapes and I just decided to use the flour to mark, I then cut them with scissors. I'm sure your jig will work great, I will be using it.
There shouldn't be a limitation on thickness as long as you keep the OD the same.

Keta

I guess it's height not thickness, the side plate will be the controlling factor.

Mark Twain