Newell 200/300/400Series,Penn112H&Jigmasters,&ProGear 255/251 5+1Drag - $29

Started by Bryan Young, June 20, 2013, 08:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joel8080

Question my 112H main gear how can I tell if it's SS or Brass?, the reason I ask is most of the brass coating is off the gear and it's mostly silver in color I always thought that brass gears are brass thru & thru.

I have the reel a long time and I have done the following to it, SS Gear sleeve, SS yoke, SS Dog, Aluminum spool, big handle, Tiburon frame and I have a 5 stack in route from Bryan.

Joel 8080

Oceanside,California

2 G,s

Keta

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 26, 2013, 02:17:45 PM
I am thinking that I wouldl include both washer in the next run  Maybe the CF can sit on top of the teflon/delrin washer to protect it from the gear sleeve and still function

File a slight bevel on the leading edge of the gearsleeve "ratchet" or make the OD of the under washer smaller than the "teeth" and the problem goes away.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

BMITCH

Lee, that's exactly what I had posted in an earlier thread and did with all my drag stacks. My question was are you losing any drag surface with the smaller OD under gear washer??
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 28, 2013, 10:32:47 AM
Great Bryan, what happened to my set? ::). You already know that I'm in anything you come up with. I bet those make that reel very smooth at 18lb.
Sal
Aloha Sal, 
???  ???  ???
I figured you didn't want my low tech, stock configuration drag washer set since you are moving towards a versa drag system for all of your reels. ;D

But, coming your way are SS springs to replace those brass ones to get on your brighter dark side LOL

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 28, 2013, 04:53:22 PM
Great Bryan, what happened to my set? ::). You already know that I'm in anything you come up with. I bet those make that reel very smooth at 18lb.
Sal
Aloha Sal, 
???  ???  ???
I figured you didn't want my low tech, stock configuration drag washer set since you are moving towards a versa drag system for all of your reels. ;D

But, coming your way are SS springs to replace those brass ones to get on your brighter dark side LOL

Bryan
How am I going to prove to you that mine  are better if I don't have yours to compare them with ;)...J.K.
I remember you discussing these thin washers with me over a year ago, you need to move a little quicker on your projects ;D.
How about some for the larger reels, so we could check them out.
If they're working on the Baja at around 30lb, I don't see why they wouldn't work on those.
I'm able to bend the metal washer from the Baja with my hand, are yours of the same thickness?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 28, 2013, 08:11:53 PM
Quote from: Bryan Young on June 28, 2013, 04:53:22 PM
Sal
Aloha Sal, 
???  ???  ???

Bryan
How am I going to prove to you that mine  are better if I don't have yours to compare them with ;)...J.K.
I remember you discussing these thin washers with me over a year ago, you need to move a little quicker on your projects ;D.
How about some for the larger reels, so we could check them out.
If they're working on the Baja at around 30lb, I don't see why they wouldn't work on those.
I'm able to bend the metal washer from the Baja with my hand, are yours of the same thickness?
It's not bending strength I need to consider, it's shearing force.  I'm trying to learn autocad, and it takes time.  Hope to have other options available shortly. :)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 29, 2013, 12:43:34 AM
It's not bending strength I need to consider, it's shearing force. 
Doesn't thickness need to be cosidered for shearing force?

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

Quote...are you losing any drag surface with the smaller OD under gear washer?
G'day Bob,
The decreased surface area would have no impact on drag force, though explaining why is altogether too complicated ;) ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Ron Jones

Quote from: redsetta on June 29, 2013, 07:03:09 AM
G'day Bob,
The decreased surface area would have no impact on drag force, though explaining why is altogether too complicated ;) ;D

I tried explaining that last week, didn't go over so well.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

BMITCH

Quote from: noyb72 on June 29, 2013, 07:58:57 AM
G'day Bob,

I tried explaining that last week, didn't go over so well.

Ron

I'm not attempting to hijack this thread or anything but.... It seems if you go with a smaller OD washer under the main and soften the teeth that would be a good option to prevent it from being torn up. This would also prevent the the munged up grease on the ratchet teeth.No??? As far as the thickness of the metal washers is concerned...if they are thinner aren't they more likely to deform under extrem drag settings? I didn't run any tests as Bryan did but I would think that might become an issue.

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

G'day Bob,
I've found during my personal testings that the washer under the gear gives zero drag, its only a spacer.

RowdyW

I've found during my personal testings that the washer under the gear gives zero drag, its only a spacer.
[/quote]     Hi Sal, if the washer under the gear gives zero drag then why does almost everybody insist that the washer should be a CF washer. I've been using the regular fiber washer for years without a failure. Those fiber washers are tough & don't leave any particles behind. To each his own but I'm happy with the regular fiber washers & I don't think I am the only one.   8) 8)      Rudy

Alto Mare

Yes Rudy you are right about the fiber washer, it is good for what its intended to do, but keep in mind that a Jigmaster is rated at 8lb and I pushed it to 29, that's almost 4x more. I believe those will also fail at that setting.
A while back I had a discussion with Alan about CF washers for under the gear and I told him that during my test on the 4/0 they showed signs of wear. We both agreed that a SS keyed washer first and then a CF washer would make the reel happy. The only problem is that the main gear would need to be groved  at the bottom for the extra hight.
When I get my hex set from Black Pearl, I will test them on my 6/0 and I will install a teflon washer under the gear to see how it holds up. That reel should put out over 35lb.
Sal

Bryan Young

I was thinking the same thing sal. I need to look at this further though. Im not sure if the gear needs a full shadt or if it would be fine with a partial shaft since the keyed washer will now be all the way to the bottom.