Newell 200/300/400Series,Penn112H&Jigmasters,&ProGear 255/251 5+1Drag - $29

Started by Bryan Young, June 20, 2013, 08:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Bryan, I just received the package, looking good ;).
Thanks buddy,
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

No Probs Sal,  let me know how it worked out for you and your tests.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

floating doc

My package arrived today! I won't be able to do the install for a while; I'm slowly accumulating parts for my 112HN. I'm building it for jigging with 65 lb braid.

So far, I have an old 112H, the narrow Tiburon frame/spool, and now the drag set. I'm waiting for the Black Pearl gears to be ready, and I'll need a pair of stainless dogs and a sleeve. Also planning to replace the handle. I have to buy parts slowly to space out the expense.

I think that's everything. This will be the first time I go all out on a reel; my past modifications have been limited to drag replacement.

There's no hurry since I don't know anyone within 200 miles that I can fish with. I can't afford a charter. There are party boats, but they don't allow braided line.
Central Florida

Bryan Young

Sal, have you had the chance to try out the drags??? or do you have way too many projects right now?  Curious about the comparison between your system and this one.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

New FiberTek Drag Washer System

The system comes with:

5 Carbon Fiber Drag Washers
5 thin stainless steel drag washers
2 Under gear drag washers (so you have a choice to install either a carbon fiber or teflon blend spacer) - NEW (used to come with only a teflon blend spacer)
1 Stanless steel belleville washer

The kit cost $28 shipped within the USA, including Hawaii and Alaska

Original System

New system with the addtion of the under gear carbon fiber washer so you have a choice of which washer you would like to use.

As you can see, the lasted eared washer sits well inside Newell's 4:1 gear for Penn's 500 and 501
and with all washers in the stack

PM me with your email address and # of kits you would like to purchase and I'll send you a PayPal invoice so everything is recorded and protected by PayPal's buyer protection.

Upon receipt of payment, the systems will be mailed.

Please note that by using this drag system, you will be increasing the drag pressure above the design limits of the reel, and should be used with caution and will be at your own risk. I highly recommend the use of only steel or stainless steel gears as the Penn's 500/501 gears are known to shread at 12-15# of drag

If you have any questions, please post or pm me.

Thank you.

Bryan

jigmaster501

Will anyone be making a Stainless Steel 4 to 1 gear for the jigmaster/112h?

Many feel the 5 to 1 gears are too fast and less powerful.

Bryan Young

Newell made 4:1 gear sets.  Unfortunately, they are harder to find than 5:1 gear sets.

No one else have put up the money to fund these.  We are extremely greatful for Alan Chiu for funding the 3 gear sets already.  If he can sell out in a reasonable amount of time, its possible he may be interested in funding a 4:1 gear set as well.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 21, 2013, 08:42:05 PM
Dawn asked me to check these gears out, these will fit the Newell, the Jigmaster 505 and Jigmaster 500/501, that I'm showing here.
The Jigmaster 500 will need a little customizing to make them work.

While I was at it, I also decided to test Bryan's 5+1 drag kit.

At holding I got 24lb, there was a little more, but I didn't want to push it all the way

I pulled the line out and run, as Bryan suggested, the scale registered about the same and the line peeled off smoothly
I also did some retrieving tests by just turning the handle while pulling a wagon with some weight.
With the star almost all the way tight, the scale  registered 15lb. Ones it got rolling, the drag was nice and smooth.
If any of you would like to install these gears in the Jigmaster 500, you'll need to use the stock tension spring from Penn.
If you would like to use the Belleville instead, you'll need to shave the plate just a little, I used a Belleville similar to the one that came with Bryan's kit, mine is a little smaller in diameter.

You will also need to drill the bottom of the pinion so it will fit over the right side bushing, don't worry about doing so, most of the stress on the pinions is at the notched area. Dawn could actually ask the machinist to enlarge the bottom of the pinion,  other reels mentioned won't be affected by it.
The Newell gear has a built in washer at the bottom, if you're using these in a Jigmaster, you will need a shorter spacer sleeve

Here is a shot of the drilled pinion

Dawn, to me the gears did great and everything looked good afterwards.
Bryan, your washers did really good, I like them. The washer under the main gear was undamaged, maybe related to that built in washer under the gear :-\
I hope this is of some help.
Sal

Clipper

Gentlemen, I apologize for being late to this party but I just found and joined this site on Saturday. I have two 112H Tiburon narrow frame rigs on 7 ft All Star Handmades which I love.  Their balance and fishability are perfect for me and my close-in Gulf of Mexico boat fishing.  I would like to optimize these rigs along the lines of this project you have been discussing.  I run 50# braid on these rigs.  If someone could summarize what I need for drags, ss gears and dogs, as well as sources, or any other suggestion, I would appreciate it.  I do see Brian's drag set which I will order if it still available.  (What does 5+1 mean?).  Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone who would give me some of their time.
Another day in Paradise!

Keta

5+1 is 5 CF drag washer in the gear and 1 under the gear.

You have the Tiburon frames so you will need SS Gear sleeve and AR dog, thin metal and CF drag washers and a bellville washer to replace the wavy spring washer.   Upgrading the handle and handle arm is another option, I prefer the smaller out of production "hotdog" handle for 112H/500 size reels.  A few hex and octagon gear inserts are still available but I'm not sure if I will make another run for the 112H/500 gear.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Quote from: Keta on August 26, 2013, 02:26:15 PM
5+1 is 5 CF drag washer in the gear and 1 under the gear.

You have the Tiburon frames so you will need SS Gear sleeve and AR dog, thin metal and CF drag washers and a bellville washer to replace the wavy spring washer.   Upgrading the handle and handle arm is another option, I prefer the smaller out of production "hotdog" handle for 112H/500 size reels.  A few hex and octagon gear inserts are still available but I'm not sure if I will make another run for the 112H/500 gear.
And you really should have stainless steel or steel gears.  Brass gears could shread as little as 12# of drag.

I still have drag sets available.

Bryan

Clipper

Another day in Paradise!

Bryan Young

I'm all sold out of kits at the moment.  I need to order more.  Please stand by.

Tunacious

Just read this post...good stuff. :)

For my 20-30 lb. reels, I use the original Newell P series reels with 4 HT-100's. Using your 5+1 system, I'd truly have a 6 stack at work since the bottom of the main gear is recessed for a CF washer and this same gear sits on a fixed ss washer on the bridge sleeve. Is this correct thinking or am I missing something? How many lbs of drag would I be getting from this setup? Would it be too much drag for these small Newells? I've never measured how much drag I get from any reel, rather, I just do it by feel and experience. BTW, I've experimented placing a CF underneath the main gear in my NL series Newells and Pro Gears but haven't found any advantage in doing so. The washer doesn't get destroyed...it just doesn't get me any more drag.

The 4 stack has worked great for me all these years without any failures. Eventually, I may get the Tib frames for my P-322's/P-332's. I'd certainly feel more comfortable using your 5+1 system.

BTW, I use Penn belvilles on top of the drag stack rather than the stock Newell belville. The Penn isn't quite as flat, therefore giving me a bit more pressure.