Newell 200/300/400Series,Penn112H&Jigmasters,&ProGear 255/251 5+1Drag - $29

Started by Bryan Young, June 20, 2013, 08:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

Quote from: MolBasser on April 14, 2018, 02:00:00 AM
I mean do you just wrench down on the star and then pull the line with a scale?

lol.

I've never put my drags to a max test and now all of a sudden it interests me.

MolBasser

I use a Shimano spring scale secured in a vise. Don't tighten the drag all the way. You need to warm up the drags to get a true reading. Use a lower drag setting and pull line out several times. Then tighten some more and pull before tightening all the way. You may find you dont want to tighten all the if the drag is sufficient. Be careful because things can break with it locked down.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Newell Nut

Be careful looking for max drag. You can make things go bad when working on the edge. I tested a max drag for one of our suppliers several months ago and the spool shaft flexed enough that the Tiburon spool carved a groove in the Tiburon frame. That was a bad experience. Alan covered the loss but lesson learned is to be cautious looking for max.

Dwight

Caseymcv

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Pappy

If I were to upgrade my Newell S229-5 and my S332.5 to the 5+1 drag stack, what would the estimated drag pressure increase to for each reel? And what other parts would be recommended to install? I can't seem to let go of my Newell's due to the great casting they're known for!

Bryan Young

Hello Pappy,

First of all, I personally do not recommend upgrading the drags on the 229 and 235 for max drag capabilities.  The frames are likely to twist or spools warp.

With that said, on my 332, I can get max 24# of drag at full spool. I normally fish it at 10-15# depending on my top shot (30-50# mono on top of 50# braid).  I have not confirmed the max drag on my 220 because I still have a 3-stack Carbontex drag kit in all of my remaining 200 sizes Newells.

I hope this helps.
Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Pappy

Thanks Bryan,  with your info I'll just upgrade the S332-5. I'll go with the 5+1 stack. I believe you mentioned the website in this thread so I'll go there and order it. Do you recommend any other upgrade parts I should add? Do you think I need a SS gear sleeve? I appreciate the info.

fishmeluck

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 04, 2018, 02:29:16 AM
First of all, I personally do not recommend upgrading the drags on the 229 and 235 for max drag capabilities.  The frames are likely to twist or spools warp.

Bryan

Hi Brian,

I've upgraded my C220 and S229 w/ your drag kits and Cortez gear sleeves. They're spooled with 40 lb braid and 25 lb mono top shots. I know the drags are capable of supporting higher line classes for the top shots, but like you, I'm leery of pushing the frames or spools too far. My feeling is, I'm being too conservative. How hard do you push your 229?

Paul
Give a man a fish and he will have fish for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Pappy

Bryan, just to make sure were talking about the same model of the 332, mine is the "S" model with the graphite spool. Is yours the same, or does yours have the alluminum spool? Im concerned about packing the braid on a graphite spool.

Bryan Young

Hi Paul,

I normally fish my 229 with a max drag of 10#.  Hope this helps.

Bryan

Bryan Young

Quote from: Pappy on June 09, 2018, 03:13:45 AM
Bryan, just to make sure were talking about the same model of the 332, mine is the "S" model with the graphite spool. Is yours the same, or does yours have the alluminum spool? Im concerned about packing the braid on a graphite spool.
Hi Pappy,

I have 40# or 50# braid on my graphite spool lines with 10# of drag. You should not have a problem with the graphite spool with braid. You will likely have more problems with mono because it stretches if lined too tight.

Swami805

At it's heart it was made as a 20lb reel, You can go heavier as you eliminate the weak links. 25 seems reasonable maybe up to 40 at the very top end. After that capacity becomes an issue and a larger reel would be better. Personally I like it as a 20lb reel with stock cf drags.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Pappy

Bryan, thanks for all your help. I received the 5+1 stack drags. Can't wait to rebuild and get it back in the game for some Yellowtail!  

Brendan

I ordered a kit for a 500 series Newell from the above link and noticed they were out of stock for the smaller reels. Are they going to recieve more kits?
Thank's, Brendan.

Bryan Young

Hi Brendan,

All suppliers have been restocked. They should have the stock posted shortly.

Thank you,

Bryan