Tutorial - Okuma Cedros 10S

Started by redsetta, June 22, 2013, 10:40:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

G'day all,
Finally had something through the workshop that I thought might be of interest.
The Okuma Cedros 10S is comparable to the Saltiga Z40, being a narrow, high-retrieve, cast-alloy overhead, ideal for jigging kings.
It has a machined aluminium frame and forged side plates, with helical-cut S/S gears (6.2:1 ratio).
It weighs about half a kilo (~18oz) and puts out about 13kg (~30lb) of drag (though I haven't had a chance to test this).
The pics are pretty self-explanatory, so I'll keep the commentary to a minimum ;) ;D
Bear in mind that the spool bearings have been treated with TSI301 and all others have been dunked in Inox and packed with high-quality marine grease.
Let me know if you have any queries about any of the steps herein.
Righto, let's kick it off...

A 10mm spanner will get the handle nut off - no special tool required...

Don't forget the plastic washer under the handle nut.

There's a small clicker assembly within the drag star.

The first belleville is oriented thus (, ie curving towards the reel frame.

And the second ).

You'll need a T10 Torx bit to remove the side plate screws.

There's a bearing on either side of the spool shaft.

The silent Ambassadeur-style A/R dog pivots on a post the sits in the side plate cover and also fits into a hollow in the side plate.

The main gear/handle shaft assembly is ready to come out now, but first remove the handle shaft bearing and shim.

Off comes the side plate...

The A/R bearing and sleeve can now be removed.

It's got a nice-looking drag set up, which coincidentally looks very like Sal, Tom and Lee's recent innovations.

Some nice machining in there...

And a close-up view of the helical-cut main gear.

There's also a solid CF washer under the main gear - great stuff!

Here's the A/R dog and post.

Next up is the clutch assembly, for which you'll need a 3mm hex...

It's a traditional set up, ie eccentric and spring.

Don't forget the plastic washer under the clutch lever.

And now for the clicker assembly...

Once again, being clear, the plastic washer can be easily missed.

Cleaned, greased and reassembled.

[

The left-side spool bearing is held in place by a C-clip.

The right-side spool bearing is held by a spool pin.

Beneath the bearing are three thin shims.

TSI'd, greased and reassembled.

The clutch lever can be disassembled thus:

Here's the plastic washer back in place.

All the washers are naturally given a light coat of Cal's.

The A/R bearing has been thoroughly cleaned and given a treatment with a light oil, Inox in this case.
Then replace A/R sleeve, the bearing shim and handle bearing.

This is exposed to the elements, so is fully packed with grease and was also soaked in Inox prior.

The A/R dog should be gently fitted to the A/R ratchet before fitting back into the side plate cover.

Replace the handle shaft washer and fasten in place...

The clutch mechanism will be familiar to most and is assembled thus:

There's a convenient port in the side plate cover to allow the last clutch screw to be inserted.

Nearly there now. Add the first belleville with the curve facing upwards, ie away from the bearing.

The second should curve towards the bearing, ie ().

Grease and lube the handle shaft and bearing.

And that's that...
Hope it was of some interest.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Good job Justin, always nicely detailed. ;)
Thanks!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

2 G,s

A awesome job,well done.   
jimmy

wallacewt

good stuff kiwi
this would be a beginners worst nightmare.
esp; those invisible washers.
not anymore.
justin do you think that rounded dog and ratchet will hold
30lb drag
looks a bit suss.
cheers mate

Tile

The tutorial is great. My question is the material of the black holder plate.
In solid fiberglass we trust

redsetta

Cheers lads - appreciate the feedback.
Wallace, I think you're right in that there's actually a very small contact patch between the tip of the dog and deepest part of each ratchet-tooth cut.
I imagine it wouldn't take much rounding off in the dog before it'd slide over the ratchet teeth.
However, I haven't seen this happen, so it's just speculation at this stage.
Likewise Tile's query - it appears to just be plastic (though it may be reinforced with a bit of graphite?).
I haven't seen one fail but, despite being broadly a nice design, these seem a couple of key weak points.
Personally, I'd reach for one of my 113H Tanks (or semi-tanked 9500SS) for this class of fishing.
With my shoulder still healing, I can barely open the windows at home, let alone lift a rod, so these concerns will have to remain untested for now ;) ;D
Cheers, Justin

CapeFish

Thanks have always wondered what they look like inside. The anti-reverse looks dodgy. Pity they go to all the trouble with machined frames and skimp on such an essential part.

redsetta

Yeah, I s'pose the working assumption is that the A/R ratchet and dog are only a fail-safe for the A/R bearing, but we're a discerning crowd  ;) ;D

Tile

The antireverse ratched and dog can be made to fit well by expertly using a mill file to take off the roundness in the ratchet teeth. The holder plate should have been made out of cast aluminum.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Wael

steve chung

sweet tutorial, thanks Redsetta.

okuma's site claims that the gears on the Cedros Star Drags are "Oversized machine cut brass gearing".

https://www.okumafishing.com/product/view/reels/star-drag-reels/cedros-star-drag

but they definitely don't look like brass in your tutorial. some other post here also mentioned they had stainless gearsets so i called okuma. the support person i spoke with looked up the manufacturing specs and said that the website is wrong and that the gears are indeed stainless. just adding some clarification in case anyone else was confused by this.

redsetta

bgreen

Thanks for this great tutorial.  I have a Cedros 10S and decided to open it up recently to give it a first time service.  When i looked at the spool i saw the following which i took a picture of.  While the schematics indicate there should be two spool bearings i only seem to have one.  There is a pin in place but just a gap... has this been forgotten in the assembly process or are their different variations.  There is also a difference in the parts shown below around the yoke assembly(not familiar with all the part names sorry) This was purchased new.  Thanks for your help.

]

Cheers Bruce

Cor

Thanks.
I have a Contura, which seems pretty similar.
That reel has been pensioned off now, had lots of niggles and not good build quality, but nevertheless caught me a lot of fish.
I did received fantastic after sales service from the Chinese though, when I had a problem they just sent me the parts free of charge from China!
Cornelis