S Series Base Question

Started by SurfmanTX, June 24, 2013, 12:20:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SurfmanTX

Hi Guys,

I have about 5 G344's that are my go to reels for Red Drum off the Texas coast.  I picked up an S series base to have a spare base for my G344's but I did not really think it through before I bought it.  The S series bases are not tapped to receive screws like the G series at least the one I bought is not.  From what I know the S series bases are riveted on in some way.  I know the crossbars have crossthrough screws that go into them but I don't  think the bases were like that.

Is it possible to get an S series base to fit a G series?  If so what parts do I need?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

SurfmanTX

Newell Nut

There is an early S and late S. Sounds as though the base your picked up has holes drilled all the way through for the long screws to extend all the way from the left side to the right side with a sleeved insert that screws in from the handle side. When buying a base don't be concerned about the S or G or C. Ask the question: Does the base have threaded inserts molded into both sides for screws? That is the best practice.

In the S series you have both. If you shop ebay the guy in Boca Raton that is stripping reels should have both. He is easy to deal with and very fair. I have gotten several parts from him and returned a few as well. No problems.

SurfmanTX

The base is the kind drilled all the way through. I guess I will keep an eye out for the right kind. Thanks for the info!

alantani

man, i'm glad someone knows these reels!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SurfmanTX

Actually after looking through my parts I have the long screws for the base. What I don't have is the sleeved inserts for the right side. If I find some of them the base could still be used as a backup base.

Thanks

Surfmantx

Newell Nut

You can also try Gregg Chow at chowderpuff7@yahoo.com
Gregg has a large supply of Newell parts. I have accumulated a large supply but no 344 width. I stopped at 338s.

Newell Nut

Okay back to ebay again. the sleeved insert on the handle side from any series will work. They are all the same.

SurfmanTX

I believe those sleeved inserts go onto the screws that go through the crossbars not the base. I took an s235 I have that has the same setup the sleeved inserts attach to the crossbar screws. The base screws have some sort of small cap on them.  Here is a picture of what I am talking about.

Newell Nut

The cap you refer to in the picture is the head of the screw. On the other side is the small 5-40 nut that holds the SS ring to the base. email the guy in Boca Raton that is on ebay and tell him you need the 5-40 nuts for base screws. email Gregg Chow at chowderpuff7 and he has them in CA and he did the Newell maintenance work for the factory. 3rd choice is to go to McMaster Carr and buy a box of them. Gregg should be your first choice.

Newell Nut

Some of the SS rings have a small hole and are threaded. Others had the little nut. So if your screws are too short for the nut and just screw through the SS ring thing go to the guy on ebay in Boca and shop for the ring with the threaded holes.
Since this guy has the screws and inserts then he has the rings you need. He also takes offers less than his buy price. Easy guy to deal with.

Newell Nut

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-NEWELL-CONVENTIONAL-REEL-PART-S-338-5-Right-Side-Inner-Ring-/300910473330?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460fa97072

He has the ring that you need. It shows 1 available. He is asking 15.95 and will probably go for $12. Look at the magnified view and you will see the threaded holes.

Newell Nut

One more option for you to go really classy and robust is to add a Tiburon frame. If you have a reel with the threaded holes in the SS rings then you simply drill those out so a 5-40 screw will go through them. The frames come with all the screws. Gregg sells that stuff on ebay.

When Carl designed those long screws I assume he was thinking of strength but that is one design that I don't like. Makes the after market work difficult.

SurfmanTX

Thanks for all the help. That makes sense about the threaded ring. I was never a fan of the s models so I don't know much about them.

Newell Nut

Because the S model had variations creates a lot of confusion. I like the ones with SS bearing Cups and the screws in the side plates on each side.

I believe it is the larger reels that have the little nuts holding the SS ring to the base on the long screw model. I have both in my collection. Not a problem until you start changing parts like you are doing and adding Tiburon frames. ON a seriously neglected reel they can be a pain to remove.