Cleaning and Lubing an Anti Reverse Bearing, 6/2016 Anti Reverse Brg Performance

Started by josa1, June 24, 2013, 10:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

josa1

Hi Steelfish,

I just use a small pointed awl to reach through the drive shaft hole and push the bearing cage out while leaving the outer cage in place.  That may work for you, if not, try using small wooden dowel with a flat edge to just get contact with the inner bearing race.

It pushes out easily so don't really think you'll have a problem.

Why don't you post your efforts and the final result on Alan's great site?  Would really be interesting to see your efforts, problems and the end result.

josa1

steelfish

thanks Josa I will try to check mine and let you guys now how easy or hard it was to take the cage out.

The Baja Guy

josa1

Hi steelfish,

Was wondering how you made out cleaning the anti reverse bearing, and the technique that you used to take the bearing apart.

josa1

steelfish

Quote from: steelfish on August 19, 2015, 02:22:28 AM

I just noticed on my trini16 that the handle moves a bit back when few weeks ago the AR bearing was kicking as soon as you move the handle backwards, now it has some play when you move the handle back

Well I never did it.
It resulted That the problem wasnt the ARB BIT it esa the handle itself, it has a lot of play in one on the holes for the sleeve shaft, it esa badly corroded, I justo changed to another hole and the back play went away
The Baja Guy

josa1

O.K. thanks.  It's always better not to fix a problem that didn't exist in the first place.

Tight lines....

josa1

Tiddlerbasher

Quote from: josa1 on September 02, 2015, 04:35:46 AM
O.K. thanks.  It's always better not to fix a problem that didn't exist in the first place.

Tight lines....

josa1

;D ;D

handi2

In many Penn spinning reels Penn grease is the answer for a noisy ARB. Grease doesn't hurt them at all. The ones used in the Shimano conventional reels don't hold much drag at all as we all know so we try to keep them as clean as possible. If the roller clutch in these reels had more, thinner, taller, roller bearings it would take a lot more pressure to make them go backwards.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

josa1

Have to disagree.  Shimano reels with anti reverse bearings work perfectly.

I thought that these bearings were being given the short shift and that led me to post this tutorial.  All bearings that I have looked at that were "failed" were actually poorly serviced.

In fact, I've never had an anti reverse bearing in good serviced condition fail under the heaviest of loads.  That's one reason why I haven't gone to the "clicking" anti reverse system on my gold Trinidads.

My best catch of about (not actually weighed) a 140 pound YFT on a TN40, on 60 pound line, not an issue. After an hour fight it was still functioning perfectly with the greased carbon fiber drag screwed down as tight as I could get it.  Really, I was ready to land or lose that fish as quickly as possible, happily I landed it.

josa1

johndtuttle

Quote from: josa1 on February 18, 2016, 04:02:51 AM
Have to disagree.  Shimano reels with anti reverse bearings work perfectly.

I thought that these bearings were being given the short shift and that led me to post this tutorial.  All bearings that I have looked at that were "failed" were actually poorly serviced.

In fact, I've never had an anti reverse bearing in good serviced condition fail under the heaviest of loads.  That's one reason why I haven't gone to the "clicking" anti reverse system on my gold Trinidads.

My best catch of about (not actually weighed) a 140 pound YFT on a TN40, on 60 pound line, not an issue. After an hour fight it was still functioning perfectly with the greased carbon fiber drag screwed down as tight as I could get it.  Really, I was ready to land or lose that fish as quickly as possible, happily I landed it.

josa1

Handi2 is a pro reel servicer who has seen more Shimano ARB in conventional reels than pretty much anyone here other than Alan or Bryan maybe.

His point is absolutely right on, as is yours :). A properly serviced and maintained Shimano ARB is trouble free (easy for the solo enthusiast to do) but Handi2 sees countless ones that are never maintained. He is absolutely right to say the margin of error is small with them due their small size and design as they do not tolerate a little neglect at all. An ARB with taller rollers has more margin for lack of service and is more reliable.

Note, Shimano did not start double back up dogging their reels for no reason.

FatTuna

This post is inspiring. I throw away a lot of clutches due to gunk and junk. I think I need to reinvest more time into trying to clean them up and reuse them. Thanks for this.

josa1

Yes, it's too bad that most people don't have the time to learn to properly service their fishing equipment as noted by johntuttle and fattuna.  Don't you think most of these bearings get replaced with no service attempt what-so-ever?

I see the same condition in the few reels I service for friends, buy on Ebay or at swap meets, or for acquaintances while on fishing trips.  Some even think they have serviced their reels but have not paid attention to all its components.

The two things that most come to mind are the anti reverse bearings and then the other roller bearings.  Being a member of the Alan Tani brigade I have paid very close attention to Alan's very astute bearing service post, I never consider a reel serviced until these components are properly cared for.

I agree that I do not service many reels.  Anyone that does it as an occupation has my highest respect.  They are under time restraints that I do not have.  If I want to spend 5 hours turning a piece of junk into a smoothly functioning reel, I can do it.

But I will ask this question....Do you think that all reel servicers provide complete bearing service in the prices they quote in their reel service prices? I have my doubts.  Far easier and more lucrative to just replace the bearings at extra cost and discard the old ones.  I think this is o.k. for the professional to do, because it addresses the issue and the reel gets to the totally serviced condition that I think it should be in. It's better to do this than ignore the bearings totally.  However, I wouldn't say that most of these disgarded bearings are defective, just unserviced.

Last question....How many NEW reels has Alan opened up and found the bearings to improperly lubricated?  My answer would be, lots of them.

josa1

handi2

All you have to do is look closely at the dogs in the Trinidad and Torium reels. The dogs are being used in every case. Even when brand new. Trinidad's are my favorite reels and I fish them when the strongest reel is needed. The clutch does slip but you can't feel it when your fishing hard.

Just look at the tips of the dog or dogs after a season of fishing.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

johndtuttle

Quote from: josa1 on February 18, 2016, 10:07:44 AM

Last question....How many NEW reels has Alan opened up and found the bearings to improperly lubricated?  My answer would be, lots of them.

josa1

There is no such thing as a properly lubed bearing from the Factory...with the possible exception of the Okuma Makaira SEA reels that I believe are gone over by a real human tech prior to shipment.

Bearings otherwise are automatically lubed during manufacturing by a machine that squirts some grease in them as they are fed in an automated assembly line...typically on one side only and not remotely properly "packed" with grease as shown in this video:

It simply is too expensive and would be mind-destroyingly boring for a human being to properly lube bearings all day.

josa1

Yes, I agree,,,bearings in new reels need to be checked before placing them in service.  As you note, they are unlikely to be lubed properly.  Nice video!

I am unsure how often thereafter that they should be cleaned and relubed.  So, I do it every time I service the reel.  Probably overkill, but, for some reason, I LIKE to work on fishing reels!

josa1

ALASKAFISHMAN

Nice trick with the rubber band, I am learning all kinds of handy tricks here...

Brent
Fish and hunt, Fish and hunt, eat, sleep fish and hunt, fish and hunt