Cleaning and Lubing an Anti Reverse Bearing, 6/2016 Anti Reverse Brg Performance

Started by josa1, June 24, 2013, 10:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

josa1

June 27, 2016

This morning I did a little testing on the anti reverse bearing which is in my Shimano Trinidad TN40.  I used this reel on a recent trip to catch 3 wahoo and it functioned perfectly.

The purpose of the test was to find out exactly where the anti reverse bearing stopped functioning.  There was some speculation that the manual dogs actually do all the anti reverse duty and I just wanted to find out if that was true.  Bear in mind these are not scientific data, just my personal findings about my 14 year old reel.

The pictures below show this reel, Manufacturing Date AD, i.e. April 2002 I believe.  Line was removed from the reel and the spectra was cleaned.  The reel was then completely dismantled, cleaned and reassembled.  During the reassembly both of the anti reverse dogs were left out.  The servicing included the anti reverse bearing, but it was very clean and didn't actually require service.

I then reinstalled the line and tied a loop in the end and connected it to my scale.  This is what I found.

1)  Initial drag set at 7.5 pounds, cycled the pressure on the bearing 15 times from 0 to 7.5 pounds.  The anti reverse bearing held firm with no backwards turning of the star which would indicate that the tube inside the anti reverse bearing was turning.

2)  Performed the same test as above at 10, 12.5, 15, 17.5, 20, 22.5, 25 pound drag settings with absolutely no backwards movement of the mechanical apparatus controlled by the anti reverse bearing.

3)  When I attempted to set 27.5 pounds setting of drag pressure on the anti reverse bearing, I noticed that just as I was reaching 27 pounds on the scale the star started to slowly rotate backwards.  It wasn't a dramatic move, it made no noise, it didn't "jump" when it reached it's maximum pressure, it just started to slowly attempt to release that pressure.  I think the movement was the tube that is inside the bearing was rotating.  My belief is that the rollers weren't turning backwards but I don't know how to test this so I'm absolutely not sure this is true.

I note that this 27 pounds is approximately 10-12 pounds more pressure than I would fish the reel for wahoo with 50 pound test line.  I would probably set my drag at a maximum of 18-20 pounds.
Here are some pictures...You can click on the image for slightly larger view.

Picture 1:  Reel dismantled and all parts cleaned.  Note no line on spool, and greased carbon fiber drag washers.

Picture 2:  Reel partially reassembled, no mechanical dogs on the dog posts.

Picture 3:  Reel connected to the scale for the test described above.

Bryan Young

Wow, that's more than what I would have expected from that anti-reverse roller bearing.  Good to know.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mo65

Very interesting thread here...nice to see that ARB get a little respect for once.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

steelfish

The Baja Guy

Zimbass

Interesting test Josa 1. That reel is actually 3 years younger than you thought ! Not that it makes any difference.

The information below was from Bantam1 of Shimano.

Just interesting to know.

Cheers,

Terry.

First letter is the year, second letter is the month, and third letter is the country of manufacture. The list is long so I am not going to type it all since it covers 1976-2015. I will post a couple and you can figure out the rest. We use A-Z for the years, so they reset every 25 years.

Years:

2002- A
2015- N

1990- O
2001- Z

Months are A-L:

Jan- A
Feb- B
Mar- C
Dec- L

Country of origin:

S- SIC (Japan)
P- SCM (Malaysia)

Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

josa1

Thanks Terry,

The letters on my reel are AD.  So wouldn't that be 2002/April?  This would make the reel 14 years old.

josa1

Zimbass

Sorry Josa 1. Of course it's 2002, April. Was put off by you putting April, 2002, and the numbers did not add up !! More attention to detail needed by me.

Cheers,

Terry.

Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

exp2000

Thanks for going to the trouble of investigating this. Your tests were most informative.

This is the same bearing used in larger Tekotas and some Toriums.
~

Indyfisher

I like the rubber band trick a lot. I service all of my antireverse bearings frequently, spinners included. Sometimes the bearings are tiny and never want to stay in place. I use a cheap grease like the Berkley they sell about everywhere to pack around them and they don't move around when reassembling. The cheap grease cleans out easily after reassembly. Then lube as a unit with lube of your choice.

josa1

Hi Indyfisher,

The rubber band works well, thank you.  One of the small, thin rubber bands works better than a heavier duty rubber band.

I've also recently found that there's enough play in the bearing assembly to lay the bearing on its side, then "tilt" the bearing cage farther in at the bottom of outer race, but leave enough space to insert the small rollers at the top of the cage.  You can then rotate the inner race to get all of the rollers in place.

This new method takes a little getting used to but it works well too.

josa1

reddrum55

The Paint Clean-Up is no longer available. Any recommendations.......?

josa1

Hi reddrum,

Seems it's getting harder and harder to find solutions to clean grease, grime from fishing reel parts.

After Home Depot stopped carrying the paint clean up solution I switched to a solution also made by Klean Strip, an odorless kerosene substitute called Klean Heat.  This product worked just as well, was easy to handle and smell, and came in gallon containers for about $11.00 as I recall.  Now, neither Home Depot or Lowes no longer carry this product either.  

A while back I had an inkling that Home Depot was not going to carry the kerosene substitute much longer, so I bought 2 one gallon cans that will last me a long time, so for right now, I'm good to go.

If you can find any of the Klean Heat Odorless Fuel I think you'd be happy with that.  Aside from this product I have no recommendation so sorry about that.

Also, you can clean parts with WD 40 and follow up with a strong wash of water/Dawn dish soap, maybe twice what you would use for dishes, and that works pretty well.  I don't like to use just the WD 40 because it leaves a residue I do not like.  After cleaning with the dish soap I rinse with clean water and blow off with compressed air.  Parts cleaned like this are usually spotless. I tried cleaning with just the dish soap and/or Simple Green but that's just not strong enough for me.

As an aside, It seems there should be a lot of products that would work but this turns out not to be the case.  I particularly do not like products like break cleaner as they are just too strong for me.  It seems to me that most cleaning solvents do not mix well with the synthetic greases used in fishing reel maintenance.  If you find something that works well I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know what it is.

josa1

reddrum55

Thanks for the reply. My concern is plastic safe, then,  quick and easy, so, for now, I'll go with the WD40 and DAWN.
             Thanks, again.

exp2000

Have you guys tried Shellite aka naptha? etc.

I have a pretty keen sniffer and this stuff does not bother me at all.

I buy it in 20 litre drums but it is available in smaller quantities in most hardware stores.
~

Alto Mare

Quote from: reddrum55 on January 15, 2017, 03:37:11 PM
Thanks for the reply. My concern is plastic safe, then,  quick and easy, so, for now, I'll go with the WD40 and DAWN.
             Thanks, again.
You could also give this ashot:
https://www.amazon.com/PASLODE-219384-12OZ-CRDLS-Cleaner/dp/B004BGBB5W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484495064&sr=8-1&keywords=paslode+tool+cleaner
Once you try it, you'll never go back.
I don't have anything to to with the company, I just like their product.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.