Artificials for Stiped Bass

Started by mrbrklyn, June 26, 2013, 04:26:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

At night, it is often that we seem to use sandworms on drifts near structures.  I'm finding it harder to get the darn worm to swallow the hook, or too even see the worm with my reading glasses at night.  It's made me think that perhaps a conversation about artificials would be good, and what can be used for Stiped Bass or Weak Fish at night.  In early spring we did good with jigs.  How about Buckeyes?

Ruben

bluefish69

Ruben you mean Buck Tails--yes they work with a strip of Pork Rind on them. These have to be bounced to make the hair pulse like a Squid.

In the late 70's early 80's when there were Big Weaks around we used comb baits of 7" Jelly Worms in Grape or Strawberry with a Sand Worm on the same hook. The color makes a difference.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

bluefish69

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

bluefish69

Dominick

I don't think so Tim

Mike

spottybastard

Chris Gatorfan

In florida i havent had alot of luck on the Stripers, but when i was living up in North Carolina from 2008 thru 2010 i used to kill them on the Pamlico river at Washington on Hwy 17. We would use 3/4oz to 3oz bucktails, 1oz silver spoons, large shallow diving Crank baits, and even Gotcha lures. We would also get hits off of bull minnows while fishing for flounder. and her in florida we use live shad.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

BMITCH

Some of the "gulp" products are really good. Also check out the hOgy lure website. They have some awesome eel imitations.
luck is the residue of design.

SacFly

I'm fishing the surf 95% of the time, but the uncle josh rind #70 in red over white is what most guys use.  I don't buy anything else and just use curly tails if I want a different color (which is rare). 

When I'm on a boat striper fishing it's either fishing live bunker or using an eel on a 3 way rig.  Worms do work great, sometimes the only thing they'll eat are worms, but they are really unpleasant to deal with (in Soviet Russia bait bites you!) Plus they've gotten expensive.

philaroman

Storm WildEye Shad in Bunker & White/Chart. pattern are pretty good -- not the greatest detail, but good action & the price is right, considering it's a complete pre-rigged soft swimbait (used to be $3/3-pack for 7" -- now, you have to wait for a sale & stock up).  when schoolie Blues bite off the paddle-tails & the hook is still good, you can add rind w/ rigging wire, so it moves naturally (side-to-side, rather than up-and-down).

you can get on-the-rind fatback, in any supermarket:  look for long, flat pieces for most rind; cut whatever size/shape you want; chew on the tail-end, to soften for better action (yum - meat-flavored gum); store in fish-oil...  DON'T CHEW UNCLE JOSH, or any preserved rind!!!  ;D

fishtaco

if you can get the old bags with storm wild eye swim shads on e bay get them
I had good luck using them in pink and white
most of the time slow trolling far away from the  boat

for bait, fresh dead sardine chunks on small line to 8# or fluorocarbon to 10# they are line shy sometimes

cheers
Have a great day

STRIPER LOU

For pork rind I've been using Otter Tails. Produced in ct. by captain Bruce Milar. They are molded plastic over some type of fibrous cloth. They come scented  and every color you can think of. Bout 8$ a jar . The nice thing is they last nearly forever, come scented, and usually don't take them off the hook but to recharge the scent.
He has some that are cut in a curly shape and work extremely well for tube n worm or whatever. Using these keeps the cost down and they WORK GREAT! He's got a website, I think Captain Bruce Milar sportfishing.
.............................lou