Dragenstein TM. Reel Drag Testing Beast

Started by exp2000, July 02, 2013, 05:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exp2000

http://tocatchafish.blogspot.com.au/p/fishing-reel-drags.html

Hi Alan,

I recall reading a discussion on Drag Acceleration with Jack Erskine and thought you may find this interesting.

Would be good to see some more followup on it.
~

alantani

just took a 5 second glance.  it's late and i need to go to bed.  where was greased carbon fiber in the discussion?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Robert Janssen

Oh, good... I remember this. Was even trying to find this article a few years ago; couldn't find it anywhere.

Interesting article. I agree with most of what he says. It is difficult to write an article that covers everything though.

BMITCH

Wow!! Very,Very cool. Thanks for posting this 
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Bucktail

Quote from: alantani on July 02, 2013, 07:34:21 AM
where was greased carbon fiber in the discussion?

Nowhere that I could see.  He only mentioned dry carbon fiber drags, not greased. 

Maybe it's just the skeptic in me, but it seemed kind of funny that he deemed Rulon to be the best material, since he holds patents on two drag systems made of that material. ::)
Just a jig-a-lo

alantani

i am constantly having to remind my students interns and  residents that they are not allowed to be cynical until after they first year of internship or residency.  guess that doesn't apply to us old guys, though. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

I'm surprised I didn't see details at the bottom of the page on where to purchase that gizmo ::).
I'll stick to my primitive way.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Sal, you troglodyte. ;D thanks for that Dominick.
luck is the residue of design.

Bucktail

Quote from: alantani on July 02, 2013, 10:59:12 PM
i am constantly having to remind my students interns and  residents that they are not allowed to be cynical until after they first year of internship or residency.  guess that doesn't apply to us old guys, though. 

Not cynical Alan, skeptical.  There is a difference. ;D
Just a jig-a-lo

Dominick

Quote from: Bucktail on July 03, 2013, 03:46:02 AM
Quote from: alantani on July 02, 2013, 10:59:12 PM

Not cynical Alan, skeptical.  There is a difference. ;D
There is a fine line between cynical and skeptical, just as there is a fine line between reel enthusiasts and madness.   ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

Quote...just as there is a fine line between reel enthusiasts and madness.  ;D
:D ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

jonathan.han

Who fishes one single setting throughout the entire fight with a good fish that may break line or spool you? Getting too technical or Method A + Drag Setting B = C hook to landing ratio. You have to know what level your spool is at and adjust drag accordingly, are you on a boat with other people, or if you have two lines crossed with fish on them each, do you let your fish run or do you stop the line from going out as much as possible? What kind of fish do you know that swims at 6 mph? That's nothing! 6 inch anchovies swim at 6mph. 5 inchers may have bursts near that.

Also, differing guide materials on rods add up to 14% of extra friction/drag. Also, spinning vs. conventional and straight guides vs. spiral/acid wrapped
raw instinct

jonathan.han

Rulon is used extensively in fly reels, great for light tippets and small size 20 dry flies. Owned a few when rulon drags were the big thing. I got into Lamson reels and realized I just ran light drags and palmed the spool on good fish. that's why it's called the art of [fly]fishing.
raw instinct

Alto Mare

Wow, fishing is getting too complicated ::) ;D. Over 40 years of fishing, I have more reels than my age, actually more than double and my father used to bring home more fish with his bare hands than I do today :-\.
Ooops, I didn't realize it was this late. Let me close up this 50+ year old one speed reel before I head out to work ;D.
To the newer younger fisherman....if any here, get yourself a simple reel and go have a great day on the water.
Better yet, I'll make you one that will be your friend for the rest of your life ;)
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

CapeFish

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 16, 2013, 10:36:23 AM
Wow, fishing is getting too complicated ::) ;D. Over 40 years of fishing, I have more reels than my age, actually more than double and my father used to bring home more fish with his bare hands than I do today :-\.
Ooops, I didn't realize it was this late. Let me close up this 50+ year old one speed reel before I head out to work ;D.
To the newer younger fisherman....if any here, get yourself a simple reel and go have a great day on the water.
Better yet, I'll make you one that will be your friend for the rest of your life ;)
Sal

"get yourself a simple reel and go have a great day on the water " Then what you do is you toss most of the innards and replace with expensive custom made parts that you order from half way across the world, get stuck into it with a dremel tool and modify it even more, then add a new custom made handle and then toss the original frame and add a machined frame and then maybe the spool for a custom spool  :) :) :) :) :) that's what reel heads do to their simple reels so beware all the young anglers out there if you spend too much time on AT  :) :) :) :) Please Sal, this is really meant tongue in cheek as I really admire the rebuilds you guys do. We just don't have access to the custom parts in our part of the world and it is simply too expensive to import.