Replacement Stainless Gear Sleeves For Newells?

Started by Frank, July 03, 2013, 09:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Sorry if I missed this but anyone on this sight making replacement stainless steel gear sleeves for the stock bronze gear sleeves in the Newell G, No Letter, C and S series reels?

Also wondering if their is a metal replacement cap for the right side SNAP IN plastic bearing cap/cover on C and early S series reels.

Thanks,
Frank
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Frank

Newell Nut

The earliest P series 4 stack drags had a stainless sleeves and two of mine are stainless. If you shop ebay you can find those 4 stack drag systems for sale with the SS sleeve. I would not try the SS sleeve without the rest of the system to match. They run 80 to $100 for these systems.

bluefish69

The SS Bridge Sleeve that Newell Nut is talking about has a factory presses SS washer on the bottom above the gear. The main gear has a cut out for this in the bottom. I use HT-100 drag Washers so a 6-309 between the 2 pieces. This will give you a 3+1 or a 4 Stack Drag System

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Frank

Thanks Newell Nut. Yes, I own several old stainless 4 stack P series reels. Love them. Was hoping for 3 stack stainless sleeve replacements like Alan has for Penn reels. I just stick a carbon fiber washer under the main gear and it's plenty of drag for the fish in my area.

Frank

Thanks Mike. Looks like I was typing while you posted. Just looking for plain sleeves without the pressed on washer for newer series reels.

Alto Mare

Mike, whenever you get a chance, do you mind posting a picture of that gear with the cutout at the bottom? Don't take the reel apart, do it only if you an extra. Thanks!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bluefish69

Sal

You know I have a 1 or 2. My problem is Pictures. I have to sign up to Photo Bucket first.

Alto Mare

Not a problem Mike, Frank took care of it ;).
Nice gears, we need those on the Tank and Jigmasters. Maybe Alan C.  can Help out on the next run :-\. I really like the cutout, would take care of the problem with the washer for under the gear.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bluefish69

I just found out that I had a photo bucket account for I don't know how long. Now , what to do with it?

Don't say that. I know already

Frank

Regarding P series stainless sleeves with the pressed on washer. Keep in mind that they have recess in the post hole on the dog gear side of the sleeve. This recess is there to accommodate a reinforcement  build up of material on the sleeve post where it attaches to the bridge. That being said, you can't use a newer style G, No Letter, C or S series bridge sleeve on a P series bridge. They do not have this recess.
Also I'm pretty sure you can't use a P series stainless sleeve on a G, No Letter, C or S series bridge. The P series sleeve will rub on and tear into the newer bridge plates due to the lack of a built in spacer on the newer sleeve dog gear side. This built in spacer keeps the dog gear off of the bridge plate.
Tough to explain without a picture. Sorry about that.

Newell Nut

You are very correct and that is why when shopping on ebay or anywhere else one should buy the whole assembly and not try to mix parts. Whole assemblies are available on ebay and I guy in Baca Raton is parting out a lot of reels. There is another guy that goes by angelinasdas that list some 4 stack assemblies quite often.

BMITCH

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 03, 2013, 09:03:08 PM
Not a problem Mike, Frank took care of it ;).
Nice gears, we need those on the Tank and Jigmasters. Maybe Alan C.  can Help out on the next run :-\. I really like the cutout, would take care of the problem with the washer for under the gear.
[/quote
Sal, think about that. A SS washer on the bottom then a cf than the main gear. An effective cf under the main which doesn't even come close to the ratchet teeth.AWESOME. I'll bet that will also increase drag?
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

Yes, it will increase drag. Win win situation, but we need someone to step up to the plate...Alan Chui do you hear me? ;D