G344 Drag Question

Started by SurfmanTX, July 08, 2013, 02:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SurfmanTX

Hey Guys,

I know drags in Newell reels have been discussed to death but this is a slightly different spin on it.  I use the Carbontex in most of my newells and they work great except for my G344 reels.  All of my G344's have the drag star that has the drag spacer attached to the star.  None of my other Newells are like this but all 5 of my G344's have the star that is like this.  I have tried different combinations of CarbonTex, HT100's, and I cannot get the lockdown/or close to lockdown like I can with the stock Newell drag washers.  I forget the Penn part number but I also tried adding the additional SS washers to get a bit of extra drag but I cannot get a combo that works the way I want it to.

For anyone who has a Newell where the drag spacer is attached to the star, what combo do you run?

I prefer to run my drags on the dry side since I like to be able to lockdown the drag when needed.  I accept I will give up some smoothness for this ability.  Most of my fishing is done off of jetties and piers for bull redfish so when I get fish close I like the ability to really horse them in.

Just out of curiosity when running greased or dry Carbontex in your Newells how much lockdown power do you feel you have?  For example: I don't have anything to measure the actual drag pressure but when running 30lb in my 300 series and 40lb in my 400 series if I wrap the line in my hand with a towell and pull I like it to lockdown enough where I cannot pull line out by hand or at least close not being able to pull line out.

Also, does anyone believe it is worth getting the SS washer sets from smooth drags to replace the stock SS washers?  Do they really add any surface area where it is noticible?

Thanks,

SurfmanTX

bluefish69

SurfmanTX

Start with changing you top Bevelled Washer to a 18-505. This washer is thicker then the Newell Washer. If you don't have Newell Spacers use Penn 8-60 Washers [black or silver] & fill the space between the Star Spacer & Bevell. You might have to open & close the reel a few times. Did you put a drag washer between the Bridge Sleeve & Main gear? This will also help.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

alantani

is your star bottoming out?  if so, just add a stainless steel spacer of some sort.  i have a few left.  send me an email with your address and i can mail them out. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SurfmanTX

Thanks for the info guys. 

Bluefish69 - I do have a couple of the 18-505 washers at home and I did try that once and I had bottoming out issues like Alan mentioned so I will need to get spacers.  I do have a drag washer between the bridge sleeve and main gear.

Alan - email on the way.  Thanks!

alantani

spacers are packaged up and ready to mail.  i will try to get them out this afternoon.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

If that still doesn't help, I have a 5 stack drag kit for your reel versus the 3 stack that you currently have..  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7568.0
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Frank

Hi Surfman,

The star/drag collar combo was a failed attempt by Carl Newell to limit the amount of parts to the reel. Try to get your hands on some of the Newell brass drag collars, Newell, Penn Jigmaster fine thread or Pro Gear 251/255 drag stars as well as a thick and thin 3-18 washers (depending on the room available in between your collar and star)as your other Newells have and you should be good to go.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

SurfmanTX

Bryan - That 5 stack may be something I want to try.  I may order a set just to try in one of my G454 reels just to get more drag from it.

Frank - Thanks for the suggestion.  I have debated on doing that and switching it to a "normal" star drag and spacer.  Depending on how the 18-505 washer and spacer work out I may wind up doing that.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

Newell Nut

I had two of those stars and hated them and cured them. On ebay look at the Newell 332 and 338 listings and you will see all the normal bushings that you need for your reels. The guy always accepts a few bucks less than his ask price. Next find someone with a wafer disc cutter and slice the bushing off of you stars but not too close. Next just clean it up and flatten the cut with a file.
The above process worked great for me in just a few minutes since I have a cutter. Mail them to me if you like and I can fix them and send them back.
Your reels will work great after the modifications.

SurfmanTX

Hey Guys,

I thought I had some of the 18-505 bellevilles but can't find them.  I just ordered some and I will let you know how they work after I get them.

Thanks again for all the info!

SurfmanTX

So I put the 18-505 washers, the spacers Alan sent me, and a set of Carbontex drag washers and they worked perfectly.  With the Carbontex installed the drag does not lock down quite as much as with the stock Newell drag washers but still enough where it will work fine.

I fished last Friday with fresh stock Newell drag washers and caught 3 bull reds all around 40" on one reel and 1 on another reel.  When I took them apart yesterday to put the Carbontex in the stock Newell washers had already started sticking to the metal washers.  So I can live with a bit less lockdown for smoother more reliable drag material.

The two spacers Alan sent me were stock Newell spacers.  What is everyone using for aftermarket spacers now that the Newell parts are hard to find?  I tried the Penn 8-60 but they don't seem to work right at least in the one I tried them in.  Not sure if it is because they are wavy or just not the right thickness.

Thanks,

SurfmanTX

SurfmanTX

Also, I forgot to ask.  Do you guys use the Carbontex fiber washer for under the gear or do you stick with the stock plastic washers for that?

Thanks again,

SurfmanTX

bluefish69

SurfmanTX

The 8-60 washers are spring washers. You might need a few for stiffness & I put them inside the Side Plate on top of the 18-505 Bevelle.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Newell Nut

We use CFs under the gear with a little Cal's drag grease.

SurfmanTX

Thanks for the info. 

I will try a couple of the 8-60's to see if that makes a difference.