CLEANING AND RELUBE OF AN OKUMA MAKARIA 30II THRUST BEARING

Started by josa1, July 09, 2013, 08:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Tiddlerbasher

Thanks for updating Josa - well worth while :)

I'm still trying to figure out how to get 1 or 2 thrust bearings into a 1st edition Okuma Andros. It can provide a lot of drag if the pinion bearing can be protected.

nelz

I don't get why Okuma puts thrust bearings only in the top and bottom of their LD reel lineup; Makaira/Solterra.  ??? I can't justify buying a Makaira, and I won't buy the plastic Solterra.  If they'd put a thrust bearing in the other models I'd be game. I guess Penn Fathom is the way to go for a mid-grade reel with thrust bearings.

josa1

Have to admit I don't know a lot about other Makaira models.  I can only tell you that my 20 and 30 are a dream to fish with great free spool, strong smooth drag, and overall flawless operation.

They are expensive though.  I'm looking for a used 16 MAK right now and it seems that every one wants a near new price.

Thanks for your comments!

josa1

boon

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on July 17, 2017, 02:47:20 PM
Thanks for updating Josa - well worth while :)

I'm still trying to figure out how to get 1 or 2 thrust bearings into a 1st edition Okuma Andros. It can provide a lot of drag if the pinion bearing can be protected.

Try an angular contact bearing :) Worked really well in my Metaloid, caveat that it made the spool bearing suffer a bit, and I had to use a chrome steel bearing, which I got maybe a year of fishing out of before it went gritty.