alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial CLEANING AND RELUBE OF AN OKUMA MAKARIA 30II THRUST BEARING
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
August 23, 2017, 07:13:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CLEANING AND RELUBE OF AN OKUMA MAKARIA 30II THRUST BEARING  (Read 6918 times)
Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2017, 05:59:02 AM »

nice! thanks for sharing... Cool
Tiddlerbasher
Photo Group

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 06:47:20 AM »

Thanks for updating Josa - well worth while Smiley

I'm still trying to figure out how to get 1 or 2 thrust bearings into a 1st edition Okuma Andros. It can provide a lot of drag if the pinion bearing can be protected.
nelz

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 06:54:25 AM »

I don't get why Okuma puts thrust bearings only in the top and bottom of their LD reel lineup; Makaira/Solterra.  Huh? I can't justify buying a Makaira, and I won't buy the plastic Solterra.  If they'd put a thrust bearing in the other models I'd be game. I guess Penn Fathom is the way to go for a mid-grade reel with thrust bearings.
josa1
Photo Group

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 08:37:15 AM »

Have to admit I don't know a lot about other Makaira models.  I can only tell you that my 20 and 30 are a dream to fish with great free spool, strong smooth drag, and overall flawless operation.

They are expensive though.  I'm looking for a used 16 MAK right now and it seems that every one wants a near new price.

Thanks for your comments!

josa1
boon

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2017, 08:28:35 PM »

Thanks for updating Josa - well worth while Smiley

I'm still trying to figure out how to get 1 or 2 thrust bearings into a 1st edition Okuma Andros. It can provide a lot of drag if the pinion bearing can be protected.

Try an angular contact bearing Smiley Worked really well in my Metaloid, caveat that it made the spool bearing suffer a bit, and I had to use a chrome steel bearing, which I got maybe a year of fishing out of before it went gritty.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: