Tica Team big game reels?

Started by multifuel, January 15, 2010, 08:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

multifuel

Hi Alan, I was wondering if you knew anything about the Tica 2 speed (30 series) reels. My local shop has a really(reely?!?!) good deal on the 2 speed 30ts. The reelis heavy as all get out @ 66oz. and the maching looks pretty much first rate. the reel felt good in my hands and with the dual drag system PLUS 2 speeds for under 4 hundred bucks each spooled w/ pp spectra 65# and 50# ande mono on top i am really thinking this might be the trolling reels i put on my new slammer trollers i got for x-mas. I was looking at tld30II series as I have a tld 25 (bought 3 of your handles for 'em, from white bear's site) and love my 'mano but the more i read the less good stuff i read; even you say it is one of your least favorite reels. Please let me know if you have any data, i am very curious about these seemingly beautiful well made reels. ???
http://fishingresorceguide.myblogsite.com/entry2.html      - here is a review
www.ticaamerica.com is website, not much good info there.

alantani

if these reels had greased carbon fiber drag washers, and IF the drag range was adequate, i'd say go for it.  i read the review and saw nothing about the drag system.  that has me concerned.  unless you find info to the contrary, i would assume that the drag washers are "something else" and i would avoid this reel.  i've had to custom cut a bunch of drag washers for these off brand reels.  it's getting to be no fun.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

multifuel

Hi Alan, thanks for the info, I emailed them and they said it was grahite so you know. Here is the reply:

"The drag material is Graphite. The grease is special for this drag. We include the grease with the reel. It is dry and needs only a very light coating. We have sold these reels at different country in the world & and customers like the product.

Bonnie
Tica USA
1-800-390-5268"

. I passed and picked up 4 Avet EXW 4/0 2 speeds for about 325 bucks each based on your opinion as well as the highly positive feedback i heard from many others. I read your posting on stripesonline and may take apart one to see if A) i can do it and B) see if i can do it! I was looking TLD30II 2 speeds but Avet's @ same price were hard to pass up. I will be fishing this Saturday, we are having a stellar sailfish season this winter on the treasure coast of FL and am planning an overniter on my boat. Thanks, appreciate your hard work on all these reels! Frank

alantani

wow!  you got a real bargain, even if they ARE used.  take a look at the 6/0 grip for this reel.  alan

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=214.0
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!