Newell S332-5 left bearing cup replacement for ss metal cup + other problems

Started by stevennc, July 15, 2013, 07:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevennc

Is it possible to replace the plastic left side bearing cup screw for one that is metal. I just got this reel and it really isnt quite as nice as my s338-5 .
I also notice that the handle gets harder to turn when the drag is buttoned down to a usable level. Im guessing an extra washer could help that problem.
Thank you guys in advance.

Newell Nut

Bryan has some of the SS bearing caps. The drag problem is that someone has worked on and left some washers out. It drives me nuts. Why would any one take out 6 things and put back 5. I will never understand it.

I also have the SS bearing cap that your need and I have all of the drag parts. I will make your reel run like new for the cost of the parts only if you send it to me. No labor cost.

Frank

Steve,

When you tighten up the drag and rotate the handle is the resistance when turning consistent or intermittent throughout a full rotation of the handle?
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

stevennc

Frank- the resistance is consistent, and throughout the whole turn of the handle. When I put the drag at a usable tension say 8 or 9 pounds that is when it kicks in.
Newell Nut- I will try to get ahold of you or bryan when I get to the bottom of everything. That is an extremely nice offer I may take you up on it, but I may end up servicing it myself when I get the parts. I have paypal and such to pay for parts. 

I definitely would agree it is really frustrating when things aren't right. The Previous owner mentioned he replaced the drags, and the reel has fresh braid and 30lb. The reel is extremely clean except the cup screw is a little mangled. Im going to pop the handle side plate off and handle really quick and take some pictures

stevennc

Here are some pictures. This is a very easy reel to work on it seems. Great design. Ive never opened up my 338 but my toriums and penns are a bit tricky.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Newell Nut on July 15, 2013, 09:49:41 PM
Bryan has some of the SS bearing caps. The drag problem is that someone has worked on and left some washers out. It drives me nuts. Why would any one take out 6 things and put back 5. I will never understand it.

I also have the SS bearing cap that your need and I have all of the drag parts. I will make your reel run like new for the cost of the parts only if you send it to me. No labor cost.
I have some titanium bearing caps with shims.

Dwight,

Newells came stock with a 3 stack carbon fiber washers. I created a system that will fit 5 carbon fiber washers. So when you are referring replacing 6 washers with 5, its actually 10 washers (5 carbon fiber and 5 ss washers)  
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

stevennc

well it turns out it works fine after re-assembly. The drag seems to be about double what it was when I got it and no handle binding. That cupped washer 7 washers to the right of the drive gear was reversed. I had a problem similar to this before with the bent washers on toriums that need to be assembled with a gap. Oh and sorry for my lack of knowledge on proper terminology I sure would write a terrible how-to.
Very excited to try this reel out as a 30lb jig stick reel. I have a pretty good assumption why this reel was sold. Especially after a yellowtail trip.

Ron Jones

Rough running at full drag and shot bearings do not make for a nice yellow tail fishing day. I'm glad you are willing to put in the time to capitolize on the previous owners unwillingness to put in the time ;D.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

stevennc

Ugh well I forgot to put the c clip on the end. Found it on the work table today. Put the C-clip on the drive shaft and now it is back to binding again. I now admit I need I need help.

bluefish69

I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Newell Nut

Bryan,

The 6 and 5 was not intended to be accurate but pointing out that what ever comes out should go back in. One of my buddies brought his son in law"s 447 to me to work on last week. The star was rubbing hard against the side plate and had worn the little rings off the plastic bearing cap. The 3-318 was missing and the inside Belleville was missing. No wonder he had no drag.

Steve,
Send it to me and I will make it work as it should for you. I use a 332 jig fishing for cobias and AJs and it works great.

stevennc

Ok that is what it is. The star rubbing against the side of the reel. Im guessing the drags he put in are just slightly thinner. I think an extra washer or two between the star and the long copper washer before the belleville would solve my problems.

Newell Nut

If that is the only problem then add another 3-318. I sent Alan some samples of a SS spring washer the same size as a 3-318 that is very thin and I add 2 to 4 of them sometimes. It is a wavy washer and what it does as it compresses is give you slight drag variations instead of big drag changes with a small turn of the star. You can really fine tune a drag with these little springs and take care of spacing issues at the same time.

McMaster Carr part number 9714k32 Wave Disc Spring, Type 302 SS, .440"ID,.618"OD, .008" thick, 25 count packs for 12.51.

franky

Quote from: Newell Nut on July 18, 2013, 11:21:59 AM
If that is the only problem then add another 3-318. I sent Alan some samples of a SS spring washer the same size as a 3-318 that is very thin and I add 2 to 4 of them sometimes. It is a wavy washer and what it does as it compresses is give you slight drag variations instead of big drag changes with a small turn of the star. You can really fine tune a drag with these little springs and take care of spacing issues at the same time.

McMaster Carr part number 9714k32 Wave Disc Spring, Type 302 SS, .440"ID,.618"OD, .008" thick, 25 count packs for 12.51.

Hello Newell Nut,

Above you mentioned....just add another 3-318.  In looking at my newell parts list, did you mean that the McMaster wave disc will replace part 3-18 tension washer?  Or does this wave disc spring from McMaster take the place of the thin belleville spring part 3-142?

Newell Nut

I have not used the SS springs that I mentioned to replace a 3-318 but they could. It would take about 4 of them. I use them between the star and the 3-318 when a little extra is needed and to get a smoother move through the drag settings as they compress. I noticed the smoothness of the P reels by using those large diameter wavy springs. They will of course bottom out on the side plate.
The ones I gave the part number for can slide in the drag spacer bushing opening and not bottom out on the side plate.

If you wanted to just buy some 3-318s the pm Keta. He has produced some nice ones as well as the 3-316.