Newell S332-5 left bearing cup replacement for ss metal cup + other problems

Started by stevennc, July 15, 2013, 07:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

franky

Quote from: Newell Nut on July 18, 2013, 09:13:23 PM

I use them between the star and the 3-18 when a little extra is needed and to get a smoother move through the drag settings as they compress.

If you wanted to just buy some 3-18's then pm Keta. He has produced some nice ones as well as the 3-316.

Thanks for the info.  :)  

Okay, so the McMaster part that you've mentioned kind of plays the role of the thin belleville spring 3-142 that just takes up some of the extra space and it gives the star a gradual springy feel as you tighten the drag...did I get that right?  :-\  Although some say that the thin belleville is not needed, it is kind of nice to have to give the star a gradual spongy effect.  Those wavy ones kind of remind me of the ones on the P series reels.

Newell Nut

You got it totally wrong. The 3-142 is on the outside of the star and serves no real value and can be thrown away. The wavy springs are between the star and 3-318 and have great value just as I previously explained. I made no reference to the useless 3-142. Sorry you don't understand. I can't explain it in simpler.

franky

No, no,...I totally got it.  

Unlike the large wavy springs on the p series, these McMaster ones have a smaller OD and will fit inside of the sideplate hole where the spacer goes as the star is tightened down, without bottoming out against the sideplate like the larger P-series wavy springs do.  But yes, it kind of acts like the larger p-series wavy springs in taking up space and giving the star a gradual tightening effect.  Good idea.  I'll be ordering some.  :)

Newell Nut

You totally got it 100%. As a spacer it just gives you space between star and side plate. Even if you have one of those odd stars with spacer bushing made onto the star you can put these little wavy washers on top of the Belleville inside the reel.
I ordered two more bags of them yesterday for my stash of stuff for friends in need and my needs.
They aren't just for Newells. They can be used on other reels with similar dimensions.