Abused/Neglected Pro-Gear 251 : To tank or not?

Started by Joel.B, July 19, 2013, 05:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel.B

My friend sent me his box-o-reels from Baja, all have been fished hard and frequently with questionable service histories

His poor little pro-gear, teeth of main gear pretty smooshed, bent and somehow chewed up in few spots.  End of gear-sleeve is pretty much wiped.  Base of sleeve has started eating into bridge- groove/ring scored into bridge under sleeve. The drags ( I dunno what these are made of) several frozen together.

He fishes this thing hard for schoolie YFT and YT, everything else that swims off Pacific side of Baja. I am thinking of tanking this thing with all the stainless goodies......I dunno how long aluminum drag-star and handle will last against hard stainless.......

Stainless Jigmaster bridge needs to be relieved a bit to fit in the plate- brass bridge mostly fits....any  benefit of stainless bridge over brass?  Is the post in stainless bridge more secure? 

What say you guys? 

john2244

Hello Joel,

I don't recommend these gears but I have a set of the original 5.0 gears for a 251/255 you can have if you want them.

John

Joel.B

Quote from: john2244 on July 19, 2013, 05:49:08 PM
Hello Joel,

I don't recommend these gears but I have a set of the original 5.0 gears for a 251/255 if you can have if you want them.

John

very nice offer John, thanks very much

it's not my reel so I need to see which direction he wants to go first.   I don't want to take them from you if I can't use them.

I think these are same gears- he may want to try to upgrade if possible

Bryan Young

Joel,

Most parts can be replaced with jigmaster parts, and I know you have a bunch of those you could use.  I prefer the 505/506 gear sleeve (fine toothed) on that reel though.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Joel.B

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 19, 2013, 06:29:55 PM
Joel,

Most parts can be replaced with jigmaster parts, and I know you have a bunch of those you could use.  I prefer the 505/506 gear sleeve (fine toothed) on that reel though.

Bryan

Yessir- I have most of what I need short of stainless sleeve.  WHat is your opinion of using stainless bridge vs Brass?  Considering the conditions in which this reel is used, do you think dual-dogs would be beneficial?

Bryan Young

Hi Joel,

single dog is just fine.  I'd also stick with the Penn stock brass or plated brass bridge.  I have not seen a SS bridge, so I cannot comment on that one.

If he fishes that hard, you may want to put in a ss gear sleeve.  It would save him in the long run.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mongoose1997

Joel, by chance did u fix up the PG251. Lmk I'm looking for another spool for mine if u haven't done anything with ur reel. TIA