Any interest in cast nets?

Started by Cone, July 24, 2013, 06:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makule

Sal is quite an incredible guy.  He not only thinks outside of the box, he also thinks upside down.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Dominick

Quote from: Mr Grumpy on August 08, 2013, 09:00:59 AM
Banned down here..Get caught with one anywhere near the water and they'll take you car, boat and trailer......then they take you to Court and the fines really hurt :'( >:(
Sounds like a man of experience.  No wonder you are called Mr. Grumpy.   ;D ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bunnlevel Sharker

There still legal in NC, just don't throw into the wind around pier pylons, no matter how many pogies it is......
I still have the net, it's pieced back together with mono and masons line
Grayson Lanier

saltydog

Wonder where Mr. Grumpy is at there still legal in Texas.I always get my own bait if I can help it and a few shrimp dinners along the way. :o
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

AndrewC

Mr Grumpy is in Sydney NSW Australia. 8) Nope never been caught with one. But have seen the results from people who have been caught with one in their car. No need to. You'd be surprised how easy it is to catch live bait with a loaf of bread and a mullet trap.

Even for prawns (Shrimp as you guys call them) its as simple as a headlight and and a scoop net.

Fisheries down here is very highly regulated. You even have to have a licence to go fishing, and here's the real kicker if I take my kids fishing they don't need a licence because they're under 12yrs of age, but if I help them by touching the rod I need to have a licence. >:( :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW5tfbIPtXk&feature=plcp
The worlds a better place when its upside down

saltydog

Same in the US if you don't have one lots of money and gear goes buy buy.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

fisher480

Cast nets are very popular in Australia. I live in Queensland where it is legal to have them. My primary use for them is to catch large banana prawns. Usually in Summer we have good rain and this sparks the whole prawn run through to the first cold snap in May/June. I use a very large top pocket net with a chain lead line. Most of our prawning is in deep water 4 - 9 Metres deep. The object is to sound around until prawns are seen on the depth sounder and throw the net over them. Late in the season I get them at the local boat ramp with a draw string type net. The bag limit is one 10 litre bucket per person and we have accomplished this in just a few casts when the prawns are thick.

I forgot to mention that cast nets are very popular in the North of Australia due to crocodiles.

SteveL

Got plenty of time on your hands?  Make a cast net by tying each and every knot:

http://abacoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3753