Newell S533 drag improvement ideas

Started by doradoben, August 05, 2013, 03:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doradoben

I have a S533-4.6 reel that works flawlessly. I tested it with a scale and it produces 24 lbs. of drag thru the guides of a Calstar 765L. It may be able to go a little more, but I didn't want to crank it as tight as possible. The drag stack is original as Newell produced it and in good condition. There has been a lot of "Penngineering" on the site (I like that term that somebody used in another thread for the great Senator & Jigmaster mods that I've viewed). It will get Carbonex drag washers after the end of the season as part of the next full service. Any ideas for easy improvement other than hand make thin metal washers to increase the count in the drag stack? Does anybody already produce these?
Thanks in advance for your ideas.  

Bryan Young

I have the metal washers cut, but waiting for the Carbontex Washers materials from Dawn of SmoothDrag since the drags need to be custom cut for the thickness.  I hope to have something by the end of this month.

The kit will include 6 Carbontex Washers, 4 thin metal washers.  You will need to use one of the stock keyed washer.  I kept it this way because the top washer is thicker and reduces the likelihood of flexing (if any).  Once I get the Carbontex, then will need to see fitmet with belleville washers to complete the kit.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

Don't fear tightening the star down. The 500s were designed to have 35 lb of drag and you have double anit-reverse dogs as well. The fear would be line breakage of course but no problem for the reel. You will notice a smoothness increase and actual drag increase with the CFs and Cals drag grease added.
Bryan's stack increase will also give you a little more boost and I am looking forward to doing a test for him when he gets all the parts together.

doradoben

Thank you Bryan & Newell Nut for your responses. The news that a drag set was in the works is great. In my opinion, these reels offered the most in a stock 4/0 star drag. Now, with the availability of a Tib frame upgrade & a drag improvement, they can be better than original manufacture. Too bad they stopped production.

Newell Nut

The Tiburon frame is a great idea and most of mine are set up that way. If you do make sure that all screw threads are well greased and the mating surface between the SS rings and frame are well greased. SS plus aluminum plus salt water equals corrosion. You may find that a couple of holes in the inner SS ring may need to be touched up with a small round file at times for a perfect fit without wearing on the screw threads. This is a rare thing but if a screw is hard to turn then it is either the SS ring hole or some anodizing is on a hole thread.
The frames make the reels very solid and align the bearings for fast spinning spools. In the 533 you may want to try the NK frame and spool. Mine hold 250 yds of 40 lb mono and this set up depends on how you typically fish. For me it is plenty of line and the narrow spool lessens the thumbing of the line.

Tunacious

I agree with getting a Tib frame, especially if you're after larger fish...no flexing issues. Also, be careful that the dogs aren't rounded so as to slip. That's been a huge issue. Also, have you tried boring out the main gear? I can get 4 HT-100's inside the main now.

Ron Jones

So, has anyone ever seen a Newell frame fail? People used them for decades as the number one upgrade on Penn reels, I'm just wondering what the limit is. A Tib frame is a wonderful thing, I'm just wondering if the Newelll system isn't enough?

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

doradoben

I've fished mine with 50 lb. monofilament on top of 65 lb. spectra, as a jig reel and never had any issues.

Newell Nut

Even though Tiburon frames are nice and solid and I have a bunch of them I have to tell you about my buddy Captain Al.
He has two C447s that he has fished ever since they came out which was a long time ago. He retired from commercial fishing a few years ago and he told me the last 3 years he averaged 5000 lb of AJs a week for that 3 years with standard frames.
I recently serviced those reels and put in new bearings and CFs and one needed a pinion.

Tibs are not necessary but a nice thing if you got some cash to burn.

Ron Jones

Thanks for that Newell Nut,

I've been looking for reel world experience, my Marlin and Tuna specials are becoming my favorites day by day.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

BMITCH

I totally agree with Newell nut, the narrow Tib. Frames are very nice. I've also got a 454 with a narrow frame and it's awesome. The only prob. Is this has the same gear and washer size as all the other Newell's under it. Wish I had originally bought a 500 series.much better drag system. Maybe I'll install the new drag stack Bryan has come up with? Might be What the 400 series needed!
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Newell Nut

Based on my tests of Bryan's new drags I believe the 400s will benefit the most since one would tend to use heavier line on a 400 series than a 300.
One of my buddies is actually using 40 lb mono on a P229 and has caught 4 nice cobias with it in July.

doradoben

I prefer reels with as robust a drag system as possible because it allows you to apply plenty of drag without maxing out the system. This improves reliability and longevity. I agree with Newell Nut that Bryan's Penn upgrade washer stack will help the 400 series the most because they are the largest that use the Jigmaster size washers.