Thanks Alan and crew!

Started by dogtagger, August 09, 2013, 12:13:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogtagger

I had to thank you guys for your help over the past several years. I've alway been a gear freak, but this site has helped me make my stuff all it can be. Last week I caught my largest fish ever on rod and reel-- a 10 foot 500-600 lb mako. The best part is it was caught with a tani'd Daiwa 900 with Alan's drag kit and kolekar 6/0 handle. The shark made three spectacular leaps and fought for over two hours. In the end I couldn't kill her so she was cut free. Quite an experience, and I think I just about maxed out the tackle! Thanks again guys, and keep up the great work.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

dogtagger

alantani

dogtagger

Thanks Alan. As you can see we spent better than half the time with the rod in a tigress rod holder, which saved the day. The buckle on my harness broke and I was only able to go 45 minutes or so standing up with the rod in belt gimble. We spent lots of time alternating between letting the shark tow the boat and backing down retrieving line. I know there are bigger sharks waiting... just hope I'm ready!

Cone

Nice Mako! I've never caught one myself. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

alantani

a 2 hour fight and all we get is a picture of your back!  we need smiling faces!

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on August 09, 2013, 01:25:30 AM
a 2 hour fight and all we get is a picture of your back!  we need smiling faces!
He doesn't want to show how out of breath he is ;D

Nice catch dogtagger, congratulations!
I bet if you join a shark tournament, you'll never do it again ;D
Thanks for sharing.
SAal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

dogtagger

Here ya go. Left to right my daughter, her (X) boyfriend and me...

Not the same trip by the way-- face shot was in the FLA keys, mako was on my boat in Maine.

BMITCH

That is a BIG mako for the east coast. Glad you released her to pup. Thanks again.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Nice, thanks for the photos.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

saltydog

Very nice fish, congrates hope you get many more.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

rshu