TIP OF THE DAY

Started by Alto Mare, August 09, 2013, 12:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

These will be used for solvent soaking prior to Ultrasonic cleaning, Rudy.

Agree with the breakage issue -- just do not shake them too hard -- let the solvents do their work.

As for small screws and parts -- got way too many for jars -- they all go in plastic bins or categorized parts envelopes in cupboards -- by part number.

I too, have broken jars on 2 occasions -- try not to do that as much anymore.

Thanks,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Good advice from both from both of you, Fred and Rudy.

I just picked up this hollow punch set, it is used, but got it at a ridiculous price. The set is a MayHew #66002, it usually runs close to $400 new.
Dwight, you were right all along when you kept telling me how great these sets are, making washers takes very little effort now, I love it.

These cutters are meant to be hit with a hammer, I rather use them on a 1 ton press, it makes it much easier on you and the tool.
If you wanted to do the same, the handle on the mandrel needs to be cut so in could fit on the press

You will need a 16" to 20" steel pipe as an extension on the press arm or it won't work, especially if punching Delrin.
The pipe makes it very easy to use.
I also use a piece of plastic cutting board at the bottom, so the cutters don't get damaged.

Also, if you wanted to, you could drill and tap the center of the mandrel, so you could mount it on a drill press, this helps with sharpening the cutters. I'm sure there is other ways, but this is working for me

The mandrel will vibrate a little as it spins, but having it set at low speed and applying the right amount of pressure, it will work.
I used 1000 grit to sharpen the tips and worked nicely

These were in rough shape when I got them, I cleaned and sharpened all of them.
Here is a shot of the edge of the cleaned cutter...not bad

All cutters are now nice and sharp, I also coated them with a couple of drops of TSI 301 for protection.

A new mandrel costs over $100, I understand if you didn't want to go for it, I just wanted to put it out there, just in case.
A 1 ton press could be purchased for under $50 at the right time. To me, using a press would be the only way.
Keep an eye out on line, you might get lucky finding one as I did, these are made very nicely and should last a long time.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tiddlerbasher

Sal, I use the same arrangement :) I added a magnet to the press shaft to secure the punch arbor. It just makes it easier.

Alto Mare

Chris, I could see how the magnet would come handy when cutting washers, but not so much for chucking the mandrel to a drill press to make it rotate, still a great idea though.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tiddlerbasher

For sharpening I use my mini lathe with a Dremel mounted to the cross slide - I can clamp the Dremel at a very precise angle ;)

Alto Mare

Yup, that would be perfect! You are better equipped than me, I got rid of my mini lathe :-\.
Somehow I still manage to get around it, not easy, but get it done.

gstours

Darn it Sal, ???  I was planning on buying a house close by so I  could ''borrow'' your lathe occasionally! :'(  ha h! :D

Alto Mare

Gary, you can borrow anything I have that might interest you, I'll send it over or personally deliver it ;)

Bryan Young

I think I have to buy a press.  I've been hammering and it literally makes a mess of carbon dust when cutting drag washers.

I have a few that I have to polish up as well as they are getting dull. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tiddlerbasher

Brian, An arbor press is so much easier ;)

mo65

My tip of the day doesn't require any fabrication...only a bit of common sense...something I must be lacking. :-\

After scratching several handles with those cheezy Penn stamped wrenches, I realized all I needed to do was put it on the nut "sharp" side up, so that it doesn't scratch the handle as you tighten!  ::)

I've since filed and buffed them all smooth...lesson learned.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

If any of you are fortunate enough to have one of these old library system card organizers -- these little jars work great for small parts.

I use peanut butter or jelly jars -- other jars would work too.

Can get (5) jars in each pull out drawer --

60 drawers equals 300 jars per organizer.

This would also work good for any type of drawers.

There are many possible variations just by using your imagination -- and knowing what would work for your style.

Main thing is quick and easy visibility, labeling -- and returning the jar to the drawer.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Great idea Fred, those might work on mine as well. By the way, everyone that has seen my library cabinets want one. :)

foakes

Oldtimers have taught me more than a few simple and good techniques -- just got to listen to them...

As an example --

When reassembling a reel -- particularly when a screw is going into aluminum, graphite, or heaven forbid -- plastic...lightly grease the screw so it can be removed easily at some future point -- then turn the screw backwards about 1/2 to 2 rotations -- until you "feel" it click into proper alignment -- then just go ahead and snug it up.

This prevents stripped threads, saves time, and having to rethread or substitute an oversize screw.

Works with all screws -- machine screws, or even cheap zinc phillips going into graphite.

Plus, on some expensive reels with "blind" screw holes -- be cautious when applying too much grease to the screw holes -- hydraulic pressure could crack or blow out the hole

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

swill88

Quote from: foakes on July 30, 2016, 08:02:20 PM
Oldtimers have taught me more than a few simple and good techniques -- just got to listen to them...

As an example --

When reassembling a reel -- particularly when a screw is going into aluminum, graphite, or heaven forbid -- plastic...lightly grease the screw so it can be removed easily at some future point -- then turn the screw backwards about 1/2 to 2 rotations -- until you "feel" it click into proper alignment -- then just go ahead and snug it up.

This prevents stripped threads, saves time, and having to rethread or substitute an oversize screw.

Works with all screws -- machine screws, or even cheap zinc phillips going into graphite.

Plus, on some expensive reels with "blind" screw holes -- be cautious when applying too much grease to the screw holes -- hydraulic pressure could crack or blow out the hole

Best,

Fred

Great tip Fred!   I always screw into threads with that technique. Back in until it clicks....  no cross threading.

I'm going to better with grease from now on too.

Steve