Hours wasted: Frame/ring/seat is bent/warped

Started by Joel.B, August 15, 2013, 05:04:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel.B

Friend in Florida sent me a well used Penn 506, complaining of unsatisfactory freespool and spool spins when handle turns in freespool.  I found some burrs on pinion and shaft- stoned and polished them off. Replaced warn yoke and eccentric jack - no changes. Replaced spool with one of mine- no luck. Replaced gears with some of my gears- nope not fixed.......after several hours of swapping things, setting it down and walking away while muttering to myself.........I pick it back up, and I see the right locking-ring is warped, seat is warped. Next time I check those first.

Mandelstam

I now the feeling. No matter how you set up your checklist it's always the last thing on the list. No matter from what end you start...
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

saltydog

It never fails. I always run into what is wrong the last thing I do.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Joel.B

aaaaand wasted more time- put on new ring and stand, only to find the hole in the plate for the eccentric has piece chipped out, lets eccentric bind in the plate, causing the yoke and jack to bind, which detracts from the freespool and causes the pinion to rub on the spool when in freespool.

Boy did I learn a bunch on this one.

VW

I once had a new aluminum frame that was machined so the ends/faces were not square/parallel.  Forget what the actual measurements were, but it was more than a few thousandths "production tolerance", enough that it caused poor freespool, noisy gear meshing that I could actually feel.  Not sure what prompted me to check it, but could not find anything else wrong.  It was replaced without question. If you are having an unsolvable problem, don't assume it could not be the frame.

Joel.B

I patched the chip- I drilled a hole into the chipped area, dolloped some JB weld into the area- after it set up a bit I lightly greased an eccentric and slid it in there so the JB good form against it without sticking.  Today I sanded the JB down, reassembled it all, works great.

Ken_D

Quote from: saltydog on August 16, 2013, 01:01:31 AM
It never fails. I always run into what is wrong the last thing I do.
And then, the first thing I look for, on the next similar reel is that last thing from before !

redsetta

QuoteToday I sanded the JB down, reassembled it all, works great.
Nice work Joel ;)
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bunnlevel Sharker

I spent 2 hours on a penn 9 I was building out of parts before I realized I had a coarser toothed steel 209 main gear in it lol. It's always the thing overlooked
Grayson Lanier

UKChris

Why is it always the last thing? Well, most of us stop once we get to that point  ;D

Jeri

Hi Guys,

Why is it always the last thing???

- Fir the same reason that a tyre is only flat on the bottom!!!

Cheers

Jeri

wallacewt

MFB

John Lennon once said "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted."

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton