Penn serail numbers

Started by UKChris, August 16, 2013, 01:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKChris

I've just bought a used International 30TW in very nice condition and will be doing the strip and grease soon enough, but my question is whether the serial number engraved into the frame of Penn International reels includes any sort of date code or other useful/curious information. The ones I have are all of a letter then six numbers. Does anyone know? Thanks,

josa1

I think the serial numbers are structured like this.  Letter = Month,  next two digits are the year,  the next 4 digits are the sequence number, the specific number of the reel that was manufactured that month.  I.e.,,,C901234 would be March of 1990, the 1,234th reel produced that month.  josa1

UKChris

:D
Brilliant - many thanks.

Chris

UKChris

Just when I thought I knew what the serial numbers mean, I acquire two old-style International 50 (chrome spacer bars, mid brown 'wood-look' handle) with the serial numbers MD2941 and ND0629. Both appear to work fine as they are but need a bit of tlc, a clean and re-grease and definitely new line.

Can anyone tell me when they might have been made - I'm guessing it is a long time ago now.

I have to blame you guys on this site for me getting this pair  ;D, and the previous 30 and the 30SW that is now in pieces awaiting a rebuild  ;D ;D. But there is something quite therapeutic to restoring a dirty old reel to look as though it is fit and ready to go back into battle.

josa1

Well, you've got me on this one Chris.  These are new ones to me.

Good luck on returning your new possessions to "like new"!

josa1

UKChris

Thanks josa1, I guess if you don't know...

Now I've wiped them over with a greasy rag and cleaned them superficially with a paper towel, they are looking much better. One has some spool corrosion but it seems superficial. I'll hold my breath about what might lurk deep down when I strip off the line.

Then it is the full strip and clean...

phillyguy

Quote from: UKChris on July 29, 2014, 01:18:06 PM
Just when I thought I knew what the serial numbers mean, I acquire two old-style International 50 (chrome spacer bars, mid brown 'wood-look' handle) with the serial numbers MD2941 and ND0629. Both appear to work fine as they are but need a bit of tlc, a clean and re-grease and definitely new line.

Can anyone tell me when they might have been made - I'm guessing it is a long time ago now.

I have to blame you guys on this site for me getting this pair  ;D, and the previous 30 and the 30SW that is now in pieces awaiting a rebuild  ;D ;D. But there is something quite therapeutic to restoring a dirty old reel to look as though it is fit and ready to go back into battle.

The Serial # system PENN uses now was originated sometime in the early 70's.  Prior to that (late 60's/early 70's) they used serial numbers that do not reference the manufacturer date.  Your 2 reels are an example of reels made late 60's/early 70's.

Islandgypsy

UKChris...when you remove the line on reel with spool corrosion, some (Cal Sheets for one) are applying several coats of high quality Carnuba wax to the bare spool before re-lining. Especially with Spectra lines this helps prevent corrosion in the future. Good luck with your serial numbers.

UKChris

Thank you both - the wax trick sounds like a sensible approach.

So, these reels are perhaps 40+ years old. Remarkable that they still work, but they are pretty toughly built.
These have the two-piece right side plate with separate bridge.

Finished a 30TW last night - looks like someone took a file to the crossbars  :-[  but I plan to cover that with some gold paint - tacky perhaps, but this will be a 'borrower' reel for those lads who need a reel but who I don't trust with one of my good ones  ;)
If they don't like this, I have an old 6/0 or even a Tatler V they can have instead  ;D

Tonight I strip down an old 30 that is probably contemporary to the 50. Unlike the two 50 this one certainly has something amiss inside. When I back off the pre-set, there is a clonk and grind that ought not be there  :'(. Maybe I'll take some photos and start a new post on this project.

UKChris

Well, some people ought not be allowed to play with the insides of a fishing reel  :P

The old International 30 had been 'serviced' - yes, well...

I could see there was some sort of spacing problem with the internals as described above, but when I opened it up I found:

- The drag cover was not secured by the three tabs but floating loose in the left side -  :-\

- One of the springs that operate the anti-reverse pawls had been broken, so whoever last played with this reel had simply left out one of the pawls rather than replace the spring  >:(

- And the belville washers were stacked )))) - good grief ???

No wonder it was not functioning correctly.
Still, apart from that, the rest of the reel is in good shape and will soon be back to full working order for little cost  :D

Chris

ps I meant to say thank you to you all for this site and the great information provided. Without it one more old reel would have died as I would not have had the knowledge to rescue it!

Penn_14

Quote from: phillyguy on July 30, 2014, 12:47:19 PMThe Serial # system PENN uses now was originated sometime in the early 70's.  Prior to that (late 60's/early 70's) they used serial numbers that do not reference the manufacturer date.  Your 2 reels are an example of reels made late 60's/early 70's.

phillyguy,

I'm resurrecting this thread as I have an old-style International 80 with the same serial format. Is it safe to say my 80 would also be late 60's/early 70's? Thank-you