SW Series "Clattering" Drag Plate, July 2016 Note

Started by josa1, August 23, 2013, 01:24:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

josa1

Just wondering what folks here use to quieten the drag plate on the Penn International SW series of reels.  It annoys me to no end to hear the reel "clatter" as it free spools when fly lining a bait.  It sorta sounds like a GMC Diesel.

The source of the "clatter" is the floating drag plate shifting about on the spool pins.

I've been using the same Cal's Drag Grease I use on the carbon drag washers, forced between the spool pins and the plate, to limit the plate's movement, but that method wears off quickly.  There's got to be something that is better suited.

Of course, as soon as the lever is engaged, and the drag washers are pressed aginst the plate, the noise goes away, that's the way I'd like it to sound all the time!

Just returned from the June Heat RRIII trip.  Had a great time and caught plenty of fish, just no big ones this year.

First result of using dental floss to get rid of a clattering drag plate was pretty much a success.  The reel made none of the objectionable sound while fly lining and catching several nice fish.

I opened the reel, a Penn 50S and found the dental floss intact.

I decided to leave the same dental floss on the drag plate and see if it fares the next time it gets used.

josa1

alantani

the first time i could not figure it out.  later i realized that it's normal.  they all do that!   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

josa1

Same with me Alan, first time I ran into this a few years ago I thought that something just couldn't be right.  After discovering the source of the sound I found out, like you say, that it's the nature of the beast.

As I was tinkering (my beatuiful wife's term!) with this yesterday, I discovered that if I added a double loop of dental floss  ;D (UGH!) to three of the six pin holes in the drag plate, the sound totally goes away.  I just passed the dental floss thru the pin hole twice and securred it with a overhand knot.  I then cut off the excess very close to the knot with a razor blade.

As the commedian said, "What's the worst that could happen?"  I suppose the drag plate could cut one of the pieces of dental floss (would a piece of 200 pound spectra be better?) and there'd be a little piece of that floating around in there but can't imagine that it would cause any problem.

And, as I totally strip all of my reels after each trip I could closely watch to see if some kind of problem did develop.

Well, this is just the first attempt, maybe I'll think of something else to try!

Thanks for your reply!
josa1

Bryan Young

Yes, Penn has that free floating drag plate unlike, let's say AVET where it is secured by clips and springs while in free spool. 

I would try to find teflon heat shrink tubing (http://www.buyheatshrink.com/heatshrinktubing/teflon.htm#4to1).  Make sure that it's teflon so that it's slippery smooth.  Cheap rubber ones will gum up and get sticky.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

josa1

Just updated my findings on using the dental floss.  Not fancy, but see below.

josa1

josa1

josa1

I wanted to add a note that the dental floss needs to be the non waxed type.  I tried the waxed and it came undone very easily.

Has anyone else tried this?  If so, would be interested to hear the results obtained.

josa1