Newell 500 Series 5+1 Drag System is Here

Started by Bryan Young, September 01, 2013, 01:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Here it is.

As you can see, the kit provides 5 thin Carbontex washers, 2 keyed thin metal washers, 2 eared thin metal washers, one thick under-gear Carbontex washer and 1 belleville washer.

To give a a brief history of this set.  The stock Newell Drag Set left a lot to be desired.  It was often sticky during the run of a hooked fish.  So, the first thing that we did was to replace the Newell stock washer with greased HT-100 washers by Penn or Carbontex washers by SmoothDrag.  This was a great improvement, and this combination produced a very solid 12# of drag.  Wanting more, with the help of Alan (Tani), I've created a 5+1 stack versus their 3 stack (3 + 1).  This set produced a solid 18#-20# of drag.

Note that after installing the drag set, at rest, the height is slightly higher than the stock set.  A 1/8-1/4 turn of the star will resolve the binding. of the top of the stack with the sideplate.  I hope you understand.  Some solutions have a little adjustments.

The following pictures compares the differences between the stock and the 5+1 drag systems installed in the gear.

If you are interested in purchasing the drag set, http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8201.0
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

looks great, bryan!  can i get two?  thanks! alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ErnieK

In case my post in the other thread gets overlooked, I'd like 2 kits for the 200/300 and 1 kit for the 500 please!  Looks great

Ron Jones

Ernie,
You need to PM Bryan, he will tell you the amount to pay through PayPal and then ship once payment is made. Bryan is out here on Oahu for the next couple days but he is very responsive when he is available.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mmsblee

Oh my God. The drag on my P533-5.5 was so poor (8 to 9 pounds) that I stop taking it on the boat last year and was ready to sell it on Ebay. I replaced the Newell washers with Carbontex and I still had very poor drag levels. I order the 5+1 Drag system and installed them today. This has gotten my reel back in the game. I have no problem getting 12 to 13 pounds of drag. It's going on the boat this Nov. and break them in on some wahoo. Thank you very much.  ;D

Newell Nut

You should get a lot more than that and more like double. You may need to add another 3-318 washer to give you some more star travel before bottoming out.

Bryan Young

Ernie, I sent you a PM.  I'm out of the 200/300/400 series washers and awaiting shipment.

I have 500 Series newell sets available.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bluefish69

Byran

Which washers are you short of?  Spacers or Bevelled

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Bryan Young

bluefish69

I was thinking the thick & thin spacers. Your talking drag washers.

Mike

ErnieK

Just wanted to chime in, Thanks Bryan.  The kits for the 200/300/400 and 500's are awesome.  TOTALLY breathed new life into my fishing arsenal.  With the added drag capability, I have no doubt that my newells are the best casting reels with completely adequate and smooth drags out there.  It's amazing knowing that you're not maxed out on drag ALL the time.  Very very impressed with the kits.

Bryan Young

Quote from: bluefish69 on September 21, 2013, 06:49:01 AM

Mike
Hi Mike,
I'm talking about the metal drag washers.
Bryan

Bryan Young

Quote from: ErnieK on October 09, 2013, 03:30:34 PM
Just wanted to chime in, Thanks Bryan.  The kits for the 200/300/400 and 500's are awesome.  TOTALLY breathed new life into my fishing arsenal.  With the added drag capability, I have no doubt that my newells are the best casting reels with completely adequate and smooth drags out there.  It's amazing knowing that you're not maxed out on drag ALL the time.  Very very impressed with the kits.
Thanks Ernie.  Actually, I developed the drag kits without even owning a Newell.  Just out of need from feedback from my friends.  Well, now I own 6 Newells because of this, and just love the performance.  Now I just gotta catch some fish with the Newells, but they all need pre-my-use service first...and that may take a while.

bluefish69

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 09, 2013, 03:37:51 PM
Quote from: bluefish69 on September 21, 2013, 06:49:01 AM

Mike
Hi Mike,
I'm talking about the metal drag washers.
Bryan

I have used Brass Drag Washers from Jig Masters. They are the same size. Maybe you can get Lee to cut some.

Mike

Bryan Young

Mike, the brass washers are too thick.  The metal washer I'm using are 0.5 mm thick.