Newell 500 Series 5+1 Drag System is Here

Started by Bryan Young, September 01, 2013, 01:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

That is great Bryan. 7+1 is awesome for a 600 Newell and should hit 50 lb of drag easily.

ErnieK

Just checking in.  I've finally got a chance to put my P533 through it's paces, my father landed a 70lb BFT this past friday on it.  I can honestly say that with straight 40lb mono, the reel performed flawlessly.  I'm serious in thinking that the stock drag would've have been inadequate, but with the 5+ kit, no problem.  I set the drag right at 11lbs and near the end of the fight, the drag was buttoned even more.  The reel heated up, but upon dis-assembly, everything looked perfectly new.  No wear and best of all no damage from heat.  First run was a real burner, fish was hooked at 200' or so, so the fight lasted a LONG time (about an hour). 

These Old Newell's with new drags work great.  Great improvement.

Newell Nut

Thanks for the report. They have never disappointed me.

Tunacious

That's good to know...congrats! Did he come close to being spooled? I'm guessing he got about 325-350 yds of straight 40 on it. The reel acted like one big heat sink with all the ss and aluminum parts to dissipate the heat from those drags....which is a good thing.

Quote from: ErnieK on August 11, 2014, 08:43:58 PM
Just checking in.  I've finally got a chance to put my P533 through it's paces, my father landed a 70lb BFT this past friday on it.  I can honestly say that with straight 40lb mono, the reel performed flawlessly.  I'm serious in thinking that the stock drag would've have been inadequate, but with the 5+ kit, no problem.  I set the drag right at 11lbs and near the end of the fight, the drag was buttoned even more.  The reel heated up, but upon dis-assembly, everything looked perfectly new.  No wear and best of all no damage from heat.  First run was a real burner, fish was hooked at 200' or so, so the fight lasted a LONG time (about an hour). 

These Old Newell's with new drags work great.  Great improvement.