Magging a Jigmaster 500

Started by saltydog, September 04, 2013, 02:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltydog

Ok guys here is my Jigmaster and I want to be able to cast it without destroying my thumb.

Step one is get your supplies:
                                           5 min. epoxy    $ 2.99
                                           zinc coated washers #8 flat   .97 cents
                                           rare earth magnets  $ 2.99 for 10
                                           mixing cup and applicator ( reusable )
                                           screwdriver for removing left side plate
                                           All for under 10.00 bucks

Remove left sideplate and epoxy washers to it in an even pattern.

Then epoxy washers to the clicker side of the spool in an even pattern, this will add to the effect of the magnets far greater than the aluminum spool can and slow the reel further.

Now place your magnets on the left side plate washers in a + - + format on each side, this can be easily established if you hold the stack of magnets, then take the first on and place the way you take it off the stack then the next you flip upside down and place the the next is right side up. Repeat for the other side.

Now you have a finished magged reel that you can romove the mags when pitching small live baits or you can throw heavy iron with all in one package. The freespool without mags is 95 seconds, not bad but with the mags it is down to one, hope this helps others.

This method also allows you to mag a plastic spooled reel for those that have them and like Dacron line for casting.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Cone

Nice info, Salty. I'm gonna have to break down and mag one soon. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

saltydog

I did this one so I could unmag it on the fly just in case conditions or situations changed without having to carry another reel on the beach.
MacArthur

Cone

That's one of the things I like about it. It would be easy to change the number of magnets to get it like you want it.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

BMITCH

Holy cr#p that's a lot of magnets :o :o do you even need  a thumb??lol. I found that there are cups you can put the mags into so they are not in danger of coming loose.

You just need to get the cups to the right height and then cut notches in them so you can remove or add mags as needed.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

saltydog

Well when you are throwing lead or irons that can weigh up to 8 oz. you need a lot, plus with being removable you can adjust the magnetic strength. That's why I use so many I don't like blisters on the thumb. On the coming loose part I have never had that happen but once when I was dingaling enough to use ss washers, it didn't work to good. :o :o ::) DOH!
MacArthur

VW

Quote from: saltydog on September 04, 2013, 02:23:50 PM

Then epoxy washers to the clicker side of the spool in an even pattern, this will add to the effect of the magnets far greater than the aluminum spool can and slow the reel further.

This method also allows you to mag a plastic spooled reel for those that have them and like Dacron line for casting.

Never heard of that, never would have thought of trying it.  Thanks for contributing to our education.

jonathan.han

Magnets belong on refrigerators. Thumbs do not.  ::)
raw instinct

floating doc

Plastic spool?  How's that work?
Central Florida

Snagged2

Quote from: floating doc on September 13, 2013, 11:16:54 AM
Plastic spool?  How's that work?

Looks like the spool got the washer treatment to work in concert with the magnets mounted on the sideplate.. :)

saltydog

Correct, the mags on the sideplate slow the spool by interacting with the washers on the spool thus creating a field that slows the spool.
MacArthur

floating doc

Quote from: saltydog on September 13, 2013, 03:57:36 PM
Correct, the mags on the sideplate slow the spool by interacting with the washers on the spool thus creating a field that slows the spool.

I have it now.  I overlooked the magnets on the spool.

Thanks!
Central Florida

nelz

No magnets go on he spool.

Hey saltydog, have you tested without any washers on the spool?

nelz

Btw, this would work even better on the older reel that has the quick-release left sideplate.

saltydog

It works equally well with either the 500, 500l, or the 500s and just any reel you want to mag, I have even magged 9/0 's for guys who like to cast them, not many of them left. I did an ABU 6000 the other day for a guy who likes to cast heavy jigs and irons for Stripers.
MacArthur