ROD APPRAISAL

Started by LTM, September 13, 2013, 07:18:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Hello all,

Its been awhile since my last post, very busy with other priorities.  I would like to get your input on a rod I plan to sell. The rod is a Sabre 655 TSS. Its rated 60-120#, is 5' 6" in length. Originally prior to being custom wrapped in my colors (dark burgandy,gold,and black) it was the honey-gold color; which is now colored black with my name stenciled on it (Sebastian). The Aftco reel seat has the Sabre logo printed on it. The guides are the super heavy duty SIC as you can see in the picture. The guide sizes are as follows from tip down: Tip/unknown, 10, 10, 12, 12, 16, 20, 25. Eight guides (including tip) in total. The rod is in mint condition, the only flaw is the two threads on the reel seat which still functions perfectly (see photo). The guy who wrapped the rod decades ago mis-labeld the rod model and put 655XXH; however it's definitely a 655TSS. What price should I ask for the rod; the guides alone are not cheap.

Thanks,

Leo

SoCalAngler

Thats going to be a tough one with the blank painted and rod mislabled, unless someone has another 655 with them to compare it to, they will not be sure what their getting. Here on the west coast that rod would now only be used for trolling as harness fishing seems to done less and less now for big fish. That rod fishes around 100lb test and that is even more limiting to only long range guys here on the left coast.

Bunnlevel Sharker

The main problem is your name is on it
Grayson Lanier

saltydog

The name problem could be gotten rid of with an overwrap and a new decal then some finish.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

LTM

Thanx guys for your input,

Yes ScCal, its definitely a left coast/trolling rod. A tackle store owner I know wants it for the fantastic guides that's on it. Any idea of how to find out the price for the guides anyone?

Thanx,

Leo

SoCalAngler

Google the guide type and you will get all the info you want. Not 100% sure but they look like Fuji guides.

LTM

Thanx SoCal, thats just what I did the other day and I've gotten close to identifying them.

Leo

saltydog

The guides are American tackle company now, they are

BBLG25  $6.23
BBLG20  $4.67
BBLG16  $3.89
BBLG12  $2.46 X 2
BBLG10  $1.80 X 2
tip top
XBBRHT12-14  $5.73

Blank
655XXH-B  $88.60

Reel seat
CL22M      $29.12

Grips
less than $20.00

Threads and logo, epoxy $30.00

Butt cap
$7.25

Total $196.76 + labor(approx. 6hrs), shipping($30.00), Federal excise tax on all custom rods built(10% of final cost)

Now you have to take into effect this rod is decades old and marked for another individual, but this is what it would cost for the parts to build this rod today without labor and shipping and the Federal excise tax
MacArthur

LTM

Salt-D,

Thanx much for parting this out for me as you have. I almost missed your response completely; thanx for taking time out for me on this.

Leo

saltydog

Not a problem, glad to help.
MacArthur

erikpowell

Hey William,
Nice cost breakdown there ...
Is that 10% federal excise tax on custom built rods for real ?

is that a tax specific to custom builds?  I'm curious....

Taxation should not apply to labor (at least here ) ... and do you really kick down to the gov't for that?
heh heh.....

Cheers!

saltydog

Yes it is something you have to do if you build custom rods for customers and it has to be paid in quarterly, I don't build for customers anymore because there isn't enough demand for custom rods like there used to be. And the tax is on the total price of the rod labor included.
It is figured into all fishing tackle sales over the counter so you don't see it, but it is the tax that pays for fishing management and such at the federal level to the states.
MacArthur

erikpowell

Hmmmm, never knew that..  Thanks for the explanation!