replaced front grip

Started by surfcaster, September 20, 2013, 06:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surfcaster

Over the years I ruined the front grip on my cod jigging rod.I replaced it with rubber from an inner tube sliced into rawhide sized strips
& weaved on .Looks more durable than the cork tape That rips if you rub against the rail. will test out tommorrow.
I was going to try paracord or rawhide but figured I could use something on hand. Tight Lines, Richie

[][/]

Ron Jones

Now that is cool.
I bike commute, now I know what to do with all my old tubes!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Good thinking! and a nice way to recycle ;).
You brought back memories  of when I was a kid. Maybe I shouldn't say this, but what a heck :-[ Every once in a while we used to cut a tire, in the 60's those came with an orange or black tube. When we found the orange tube, we hit the jackpot.
I used to make custom slingshots ;D and sell them a nickel a piece, so I could buy ice cream and chips.
I remember those things were accurate and powerful.
For the handle, I used a branch from the olive tree in a V shape of the same size, I crossed the two and cooked it on a fire, when I peeled the branch it would keep a nice round shape after cutting it to size.
The band were cut with a razor blade using a ruler, the trick was to do it in one motion. The leather pad was made from  old shoes...very hard to find those days. Hey, you can only watch one of your buddies eating ice cream and you not being able to buy one for so long :(. We had to do what we had to do :) 
Sorry for mumbling on ::).
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

surfcaster

No shortage of kids around here. I Know what its like to make do.
a lot of times it's fun making stuff too.
The rod & reel is my favorite  passed down by my Uncle Bud when he died.
This is the 3rd set of grips it had. This is the "lucky Pole". tomorrow I should post a pic of the Tiny cod we normally catch. Ha ha
[][/img]

Alto Mare

Nice fish surfcaster ;), what was your gear?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

saltydog

That's a nice handle I'll have to try that  sometime.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

surfcaster

I caught that one in june 2010 with Penn 349h, with a 5 stack cf drag ,(Thanks Alan & Dawn) & a 17oz norweigan jig.
  The pros on this site have helped me a lot, with reels. I am not so good at rod repair. usually drop them off.
You guys would laugh if you saw the rod building jig I made a while back out of an old wooden shelf
some threaded rod Spools washers & wingnuts.  It is one better than a cardbord box.
The handle was kind of like the old steering wheel covers in the 80's
that you laced on.Started with 1 one inch strip 1 wrap, then crossed 3/16 strips 2x.

Alto Mare

I bet that reel didn't flinch a bit....very nice, thanks for sharing.

Cone

Richie, nice job on the grip. I like how you think!  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Bunnlevel Sharker

I like it ;D if you ever need an on the fly repair simple electrical tape will work for the time, this seems a whole lot better. When you wear out the grip, well that's a good sign to me!
Grayson Lanier

VW

Quote from: surfcaster on September 20, 2013, 06:38:05 PM
Over the years I ruined the front grip on my cod jigging rod. I replaced it with rubber from an inner tube sliced into rawhide sized strips & weaved on.

That is a really good idea.  Am sure I will make use of it.

QuoteYou guys would laugh if you saw the rod building jig I made a while back out of an old wooden shelf
some threaded rod Spools washers & wingnuts.  It is one better than a cardbord box.

Nope!  Many rods have been built with similar setups.  Some of them mine. ;D   

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

i'll copy yours for my penn Bluewater Carnage butt...