Newell s344 3.6 cross brace screw

Started by captainsal, September 27, 2013, 07:02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captainsal

Hey guys I have a newell s344 3.6 I would like to put back in service. The reel is in excellent shape. The only problem is there is a screw in the cross bracket that runs the entire width of the reel. This screw has snapped. It is appx. 3 1/2 inches long x may be an 1/8 inch.  I have searched the web to no avail. Anybody have an idea where I might get a this part.
Thanks

Brian A

the bar that's threaded at both ends you might try e bay.  I don't know off hand if there is a penn bar that is the same in length or close that can be cut down.  try mysticparts.com, they have images of the bars on a measure showing their length.  

the screws are the same thread as penn, 5-40 ? i think.   remember the handles side are longer screws

good luck and aloha

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

captainsal

So are you saying if I find a crossbar from a penn that is close and I cut it down the remaining threads are deep enough into the bar to work??
Thanks for the reply

bluefish69

Capt. Sal

You will be needing 2 Cross Bars. You only see 1 screw for the Newell Cross Bar on the surface but when you remove the side plates you will find another screw on each side for that Cross Bar.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

captainsal

I understand that. Are we talking the simple chrome over brass small pipe looking crossbar

captainsal

OK. I looked it up and it seems the 114h frame posts are real close. I am fortunate to have a 114h reel in my posession. So I tried the fit and it is a hair too long. It makes the reel sound like it is rubbing a littlt bit. My plan is to grind off just a hair on ythe new posts. The screws don't go through the frame of my newell. Is it Ok to just drill them out a bit???? About a 1/32 to 1/64 ???
Thanks again for the replies

bluefish69

Capt Sal

You just said the screws don't go through the Cross Bar. If that is true Pm Your Info & I will mail you a Screw. Let me know Clicker Side Or Handle Side. A lot of "S" series Newell's have through screws.  I'm in N Y

Mike

Newell Nut

If I understand the question correctly you need this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-NEWELL-BIG-GAME-REEL-PART-C-447-5-Assembly-Screws-/121155485030?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c356dfd66

The Newell 344 and Newell 447 are the same width and the screws will interchange with no problem at all.

alantani

capn', this one is going to be tough.......    :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

bluefish69

Alan

I wish I knew what he has. I have a spare screw or 2 but if it's the rod he has them on ebay.

Mike

Brian A

Oh sh3t. Sorry captainsal, i miss interpreted your post.  You are referring to s model that has long bolts through the frame brackets.  Question is, is it the internal frame long bolt from inner ring to inner ring or the long bolt from side plate to side plate?  Either these helpful guys here or eBay are your best options. 

Sorry again for the confusion and Aloha.

captainsal

I tried to explain clearly but there seems to be confusion. The cross brace that has the word newell on it has screws that go the entire width of the reel. the nut on the opposite side looks like a rivot but is the threaded nut. The long screws are what I need.

Newell Nut's  E-bay link looks just like what I need. If you all are confident that my s344 and the c447 are the exact width I'll buy it.

Thanks again

captainsal

Just wanted to add it is the long bolt from side plate to side plate. inner ring to inner ring bolt is fine
Thanks

alantani

yes, there is a long screw that goes all the way through the crossbar.  it seems now like that was not such a good idea, huh!  the only thing to do is find a stainless steel welding rod that matches the diameter, then put threads on both ends, and put small hex nuts in place,  this will not be fun, but it will work. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

captainsal

Newell Nut's  E-bay link looks just like what I need. If you all are confident that my s344 and the c447 are the exact width I'll buy it.