using a spinning rod as a baitcaster?

Started by pcde123, September 29, 2013, 11:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pcde123

i have a cheap low profile baitcaster that im going to try to use , but i dont have a bait casting rod, it is ok to use a spinning rod as a baitcaster rod? the only difference i know is that the eyelits are bigger and they continue to shrink on a spinning rod? its an all graphit 10dollar spinning rod, im trying to save money

Dynamo

It depends on what you want to do with it. The reel will not cast as good as it would with a conventional rod but works in a pinch. By the way, what low profile bait caster are you using? Ive had bad experience with those reels in general. You might want to return it and pick up a spinning reel and load it with braid.

alantani

it will be fine.  when i first started fishing on the local party boats for salmon, all i had was an 8 foot heavy suftcasting rod and an old 4/0 senator.  the tip was light enough that it actually worked quite well.  i knew absolutely nothing about fishing when i first started going on these trips.  the old timers must have thought i was a real rookie.  one one trip, i got the first and only bite, landed that fish quick and easy, and it turned out to be the only fish all day.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Newell Nut

One of friends is fishing a heavy conventional on a spinning rod because his wife bought it for Christmas. He has caught a few fish with it.

pcde123

lol its a pfluger templar, got it for 10 dollars,did a quick search, its discontinued and it used to sell @ walmart for 50, i havent even tried casting it yet lol, just a fun thing to try to expand my fishing out look, thats awesome alan haha how old were u, ve defenetly progressed alot from there, ur arguably the most fish tackle smart guy on this forum and it just goes to show that everyone starts @ the bottom, kinda inspirational

Ron Jones

Quote from: pcde123 on September 30, 2013, 07:09:08 PM
ur arguably the most fish tackle smart guy on this forum

Allow me to correct:
" You are the unquestioned preeminent global subject matter expert on all things reel."

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

pcde123

Quote from: noyb72 on September 30, 2013, 10:20:26 PM
Quote from: pcde123 on September 30, 2013, 07:09:08 PM
ur arguably the most fish tackle smart guy on this forum

Allow me to correct:
" You are the unquestioned preeminent global subject matter expert on all things reel."

Ron
HAHA YES!!! I STAND CORRECTED!

Bunnlevel Sharker

As long as the line don't hit the blank your good
Grayson Lanier

Dynamo

Yeah, for what you paid, you should be great.

thedw

its fine...
just that guides will be bigger...
and your rod spine will be inverted.... good or bad... depending on what u r looking for!!

Bunnlevel Sharker

When you are ready for a conventional rod for cheap thats an awesome blank, look into a berkley glowstick.
Grayson Lanier

jonathan.han

Quote from: thedw on October 01, 2013, 11:44:37 AM
its fine...
just that guides will be bigger...
and your rod spine will be inverted.... good or bad... depending on what u r looking for!!

Most retail rods don't have the guides lined up with the spine anyways.

Quote from: pcde123 on September 29, 2013, 11:15:47 PM
i have a cheap low profile baitcaster that im going to try to use , but i dont have a bait casting rod, it is ok to use a spinning rod as a baitcaster rod? the only difference i know is that the eyelits are bigger and they continue to shrink on a spinning rod? its an all graphit 10dollar spinning rod, im trying to save money

Get something intended for a baitcaster eventually. The benefit of a baitcaster rod is that you will be utilizing the full flex of the rod and the line will be closer to the blank with a proper baitcasting rod. You will notice a difference once you get on some better grade of fish
raw instinct

steelfish

Quote from: alantani on September 29, 2013, 11:22:37 PM
it will be fine.  when i first started fishing on the local party boats for salmon, all i had was an 8 foot heavy suftcasting rod and an old 4/0 senator.  the tip was light enough that it actually worked quite well.  i knew absolutely nothing about fishing when i first started going on these trips.  the old timers must have thought i was a real rookie.  one one trip, i got the first and only bite, landed that fish quick and easy, and it turned out to be the only fish all day.  

Now reading this gave me a bit of hope to become a knowleage guy on reels in a near future

when I started fishing (not too long ago) I bought a cheapo shakespeare spinning combo on wallyworld for $35 and I spent all day thinking that it was expensive go figure!! anyway, back to the story, I took the combo and took my family to a day at the beach and we were happy fishing for the 1st time, there was a some guys along with us in the rocks on the shore and after few hours one of them came to me and told me that it would be easier for me to use the spinning reel below the rod not on top of the rod ;D ;D and explained me in two minutes the difference of the spinning reels and the casting reels, yep I was using the spinnng reel on the top of the rod and cranking the handle in reverse to retrieve line  :-[ ::) :P

The Baja Guy

redsetta

That's a classic Alex :D
I guarantee you're not the only one to've done that though ;)
First time I went fishing, I was seven or eight.
The kid next to me on the wharf hooked a king, so I put my (borrowed) rod down to watch the action.
The last I saw of it was sailing off the wharf and out to sea, connected to another king.
Instantly addicted to fishing, but also instantly gear-less (and in debt)...
Thank God for benevolent parents!
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

steelfish

Quote from: redsetta on May 03, 2019, 02:28:42 AM
so I put my (borrowed) rod down to watch the action.
The last I saw of it was sailing off the wharf and out to sea, connected to another king.
Instantly addicted to fishing, but also instantly gear-less (and in debt)...
Thank God for benevolent parents!

LOL..thats a classic too compadre LOL
Few of my friends had done that, the put the rod down to take a beer while the bait is in the water, next thing they see is the rod jumping off the boat to the deep
The Baja Guy