Garcia Mitchell 306 Assembly Help

Started by Windsurfrgal, October 01, 2013, 02:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RamseyReelRepair

I sometimes put a towel rod on the bottom and tap it a little to pop the gear and bearing out.

West
Check out the website and gallery!
😎http://www.ramseyreelrepair.com😎

Gfish

Quote from: Pejay on August 03, 2018, 08:51:46 PM
Okay guys another question. Is there supposed to be a filter or wad of something inside the stem on the main gear where the handle screws into? I dislodged "stuff" when cleaning the small opening ( oil port?) on the stem.
Thanks
Yep. That'n I remember. If yours is trashed, you could just pump it fulla grease.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

FMBSteve

Hi Gang,
Glad I found this thread.  I am having a heckava time trying to get the spindle off of a 306.  Any recommendations?  It is not budging, should it pop right off by pushing the shaft on the terminal end down?  I don't want to force anything.  I've literally soaked it with penetrating oil and it is tight as can be.  The photos in this thread are great but nothing shows the spindle removal.

It's a reel I picked up at a yard sale and in good condition.  Right now the spool will not turn and I'm trying to get it apart to figure out why.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Here is a couple of photos of where I am at.

foakes

Hi Steve, and Welcome!

It is likely rusted or salt-fused.

Sometimes the only answers to questions are bad ones...

I would grab the spindle with a pair of channel locks with tape on the jaws — not too tight — but while using a screwdriver to push the center release button downward —use the CL's to try and remove or twist slightly the spindle off of the spool axle.  This after using penetrating oil as you have already indicated you did.

There is a fair chance that parts will be ruined — but the spindle has to come off and the spool needs to turn to have a working reel.

If you need another spindle or spool assembly, I have those.

So no worries...

If you do get it off successfully — clean everything up, remove any corrosion, oil and reinstall to test function.  It should be smooth and easy.

Keep us informed of your progress.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

FMBSteve

Thanks Fred!  Your photos helped me understand what the top of the spindle looks like.  I was able to put a channel lock on the spindle but was only able to pull the main shaft out of the reel body.  Now I can't seem to separate the spindle from the shaft, I soaked it all night in penetrating oil but I guess I am going to have to lean into it a bit more as it hasn't loosened up at all. The center release button has no give to it whatsoever.

Otherwise, everything else is in real good shape.  Can you clarify the proper drag sequence?  The schematics seem to show that the drag bearing goes in first, followed by the brake spring and then tightened down with the drag adjusting knob.  (When I took it apart originally, the brake spring was followed by the drag bearing and the adjusting knob was on top.)

FMBSteve

Woo hoo!  Got the spindle off.  Put the shaft in a vise and pulled and twisted and it came off, with no damage by all appearances.  Now it's time to clean everything up a bit more and get it reassembled.

I will likely not take the pinion gear and bushing out since I saw a recommendation on a Youtube video that this is a critically aligned and will do more harm than good.  Unfortunately, this will prevent me from pulling the drive gear. 

Do any of you have an opinion on removing the pinion and bushing??

Thanks!

foakes

You should remove the pinion, Steve —

Get everything completely cleaned and lubed properly.

On the Internet, Lots of folks have opinions — some know what they are talking about, some don't.

Nothing wrong with that — it is just up to each of us to sort things out that make sense.

The 306 is actually one of the easiest reels to work on in the Mitchell lineup.

And there are no alignment issues, unless the reassemble process is not correct.

Like many 306 & 302's — this one has been allowed to rest for long periods of time without the spool being popped off.  That allows water or salt to corrode the spool spindle to the shaft.  This is true on many reels, not just Mitchells.

After servicing the reel, grease lightly the spool shaft where it inserts into the spool spindle.  Then it is not a bad idea to pop the spool after using the reel also.

I don't think that your reel is going to operate as smoothly as it could with the corrosion on the axle, spindle, and spring drag washer — even after you clean it up.  The corrosion has caused rough spots.

So I serviced a 306 spool with new parts, included a good axle, and also included an extra Cal's greased CF drag disc for buttery smoothness and longevity.

PM me your full mailing information, and I will get this out to you.

N/C.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: foakes on September 05, 2018, 04:51:49 PM
I don't think that your reel is going to operate as smoothly as it could with the corrosion on the axle, spindle, and spring drag washer — even after you clean it up.  The corrosion has caused rough spots.

So I serviced a 306 spool with new parts, included a good axle, and also included an extra Cal's greased CF drag disc for buttery smoothness and longevity.

PM me your full mailing information, and I will get this out to you.

N/C.

This is why I love this site. On other forums the average answer to a post like this would be "ditch that POS and buy a new Shimano"...or "I'll sell you a NOS 306 for $200 plus shipping". I agree with Fred, the level of corrosion on some of your parts will probably affect performance. But, all those other parts may come in handy at some time, so keep the original reel handy for when some other guy comes along in need.
   Bravo Fred! Enjoy your new reel Steve. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

bhale1

Fred,
As usual, Thank you for keeping this the most awesome site ever....
You are" THE BOMB"...(as my girls would say)...way to go ;D
Brett

FMBSteve

Wow, Fred, I don't know what to say except thank you!  Not only for your offer but for all the help you provided.  I have the reel completely disassembled now and am soaking the pinion.  Now let me figure out how to PM you?!  Thanks again.  I just love working on old reels and fishing with them is fantastic.

foakes

Just click on a member's user name, Steve —

Near the bottom of the profile will be a link to send that member a "personal message".

This way we don't get addresses and such out there as much for privacy/security reasons, and we don't clutter the site.  

However, anything that is possibly now, or in the future, useful information for the folks on our site — and does not contain private information should be posted for all to view.

I just need your full name and mailing information.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

foakes

Mailed yesterday— ETA is Monday due to the weekend and remote California PO to Massachusetts.

But it could be tomorrow, Saturday.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

FMBSteve

How lucky am I?  The "Reel Parts Fairy" stopped at my house this week and dropped off all the items I need to not only get my 306 back in shape, but to make it operate smooth as silk.  Thank you FRED!!  I will look for an opportunity to pay it forward.  Also, when finished, I will store it in the cool, customized reel bag sporting your name.

Now that the reel is completely disassembled, I will include a few photos in the event someone needs to reference them in the future.