Garcia Mitchell 306 Assembly Help

Started by Windsurfrgal, October 01, 2013, 02:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Captain64-200

Quote from: Swami805 on December 25, 2017, 03:23:02 PM
Wow, very good information, makes me almost want to get one. Did anyone notice the post was from 2013? I wonder if she's still checking the board for an answer?

Oups sorry , my fault !  I saw the post  in " unread posts since last visit. "   I don't know why ....
Fred from Biarritz ,

swill88

Quote from: Captain64-200 on December 25, 2017, 05:54:30 PM
Quote from: Swami805 on December 25, 2017, 03:23:02 PM
Wow, very good information, makes me almost want to get one. Did anyone notice the post was from 2013? I wonder if she's still checking the board for an answer?

Oups sorry , my fault !  I saw the post  in " unread posts since last visit. "   I don't know why ....

no need to apologize... it was a great and timely help... thanks
steve

Swami805

Yes very informative, I'll know where to go to service one if the need arises. Just thought it was kinda funny. Would be great if she responded.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

bhale1

All,

She was last active on the site 10/01/13.... ;D
But now thanks to Keith and Fred, we have pics and a thread to go to if someone encounters the same issue.
Brett

Midway Tommy

HA! That's quite ironic, I didn't notice the original post either.  ??? I was just responding to the latest one or two.  :)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Pejay

I have a current question on assembly (actually dis-assembly) of my 306. I can't get the bushing and transfer gear out of the neck. Further, I'm not sure if it comes out into the gear box or up through the neck. I don't want to force it, but can I use light pressure to dislodge it? I've attached pics.

Gfish

Now I can't remember. Mines in another place. I liked mine so much I wore it out, bought another one, same era but with less wear.
I do remember having the same trouble when servicing. Did you take out the keyway pin yet? My best recollective guess is that once you pull that pin (don't lose it!), it comes outta the top a the gear box.
BTW, welcome Pejay!  
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Pejay

I removed the pin (keeping it safe) but bushing and gear didn't slip out as I would expect. WD40 hasn't loosened it yet. Guess I could try tapping around the neck to loosen the bushing.

handi2

The pinion gear and bushing will come out the top. Try a small implement or nail through the hole to wiggle the bushing. You can use a larger nail head first down inside the pinion gear and pull with some pliers. Let the nail head catch the other end of the pinion gear.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

Like in Keith's earlier great photos —

Make sure that in addition to removing the tiny key —you also remove the bail trip piece.

It holds the pinion bushing in place, and like Keith sez —it just comes out from the top — not the inside towards the case.

If it is fused or stuck — just tap the pinion from the inside out — using a piece of wood to support the frame, as well as a piece of wood to tap with the hammer against the pinion.

Also, if fused — a few drops of penetrating oil such as Kroil for 30 minutes should free it up.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Pejay

You hit the head with the nail!! I tried all your suggestions and was able pull the pinion out. On to further cleanng.
Thanks so much for your helpful posts.

Decker

This is referring to post from last year on this thread, but...

Fred, what is that gizmo you're using to look at the manuals?

foakes

That is just a vision enhancer, Joe —

Great for small parts, tiny directions, schematics, etc.

They are used for folks with low vision issues for reading, connecting to a computer, or scanning to a printer.

It will enlarge things from 3 to 26 times — and has eight modes for color, B&W, W&B, green, yellow, etc.

Below is an example of a Squidder dog spring at 26 magnification.

Pretty handy.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Pejay

Okay guys another question. Is there supposed to be a filter or wad of something inside the stem on the main gear where the handle screws into? I dislodged "stuff" when cleaning the small opening ( oil port?) on the stem.
Thanks