need weigts for Blackfish Season

Started by mrbrklyn, October 01, 2013, 06:25:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

Evidently, I'm going to need to get weights in quanitiy for Black Fish Season here in NY.  I have one connection of $45 for 25 pounds.  Anyone have another connection?

bluefish69

Did you talk to Pelican about Lead?

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Mandelstam

I've seen nice environmentally friendly and cheap DIY weights made from rebar. A bit bulkier than lead but pretty cheap. And most importantly not toxic for us or our environment.
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

xaf

Have you tried The Grateful Lead Sinker Company (www.gratefullead.com/‎).  They offer free shipping on anything over 40 Lb.

conchydong

Quote from: Mandelstam on October 01, 2013, 05:23:15 PM
I've seen nice environmentally friendly and cheap DIY weights made from rebar. A bit bulkier than lead but pretty cheap. And most importantly not toxic for us or our environment.

That is what I use for most deep dropping. Cost me $.65 a lb and the local steel supplier where I buy them cuts them to my specified size.
# 11 rebar (11/12") is about 5 lbs per foot, so it is easy to calculate the size you need. Only thing you need to do is either tack weld a hex nut, braze a heavy wire loop or drill a hole through the rebar for line attachment purposes

Bucktail

Just a jig-a-lo

Bucktail

Make sure you get the flat ones for togging.
Just a jig-a-lo

Bucktail

Quote from: mrbrklyn on October 18, 2013, 10:49:18 PM
How about $80 for 50 pounds of weights?

That works out to 10ยข/oz. That is a fantastic price!  Are they the flat sinkers?  And how can I get in on this deal?
Just a jig-a-lo

bluefish69

Ruben

If your scared to ask Capt. Tony [Pelican] about sinkers. Then go into Stella Maris & ask them. Joey or Richie.

Mike

bluefish69

I mostly make my own sinkers. As of now I have 250 # of lead

Mike

Bunnlevel Sharker

Bluefish a guy I fish with is the exact same. He gets a ton of lead from work and goes at it!
Grayson Lanier

bluefish69

My Brother in Law gave me the sinkers that he stored for me for 25yrs. He put them in a place his kids could not touch lead [ both were cops]. You don't touch lead when your a cop. All my lead in in strips of 25#

Dwbuzzard

we used to use old spark plugs from the garage, if you can still get them. The mecanic would save them for us. Cant beat free

Bucktail

Just a jig-a-lo

Bunnlevel Sharker

I wonderin the same thing. And about the weights having to be flat, why? I think tog fishing is like fishing for sheeps head we just use bell shaped weights with a hook on a dropper loop above when fishing sraight down
Grayson Lanier