Akios 757CTM Jerky drag when spool is centered in the frame

Started by Ronn, March 09, 2011, 04:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronn

Hello,
I have question for the issue I see on this reel that I just received from UK.  The Akios 757CTM is very similar to Abu 7000i interm of the construction and design.  The problem I have is, out of the box with the spool centered inside the frame, when I applied drag and pulled out line, the drag would be very jerky and the spool makes a sound like the shaft or something is scraping/binding on the right side of the reel.  At first it looks like the spool is rubbing against the frame...but it not.  I took the spool apart and look at the internals and found no scratches.  This only happen when drag is set anywhere from 1 lbs and up.  Now at this condition, the reel has no problem with the free spool or when retrieving.  At higher drag setting the spool just lock up.  I check the clicker pawl on the left side of the spool shaft and the brake weight mechanism on the right side of the spool and they don't appear to rub on anything. They are both installed correctly.

So I play with the centering of the spool and found that as I back off the right spool tension knob (this reel has two knobs like the abu 6500 or 7500/7000, normally this knob is set tight and only the left side knob is used to set tension on the spool) the problem started to go away (I tighten the left knob such that there is a slight or no knock on the spool when it is in free spool).  Now it works just fine but the spool is no longer centered in the frame.  The edge of spool on the drive side is "inside" the drive side frame by about 1-2 mm (edge of spool to edge of frame) and the edge of the spool on the non-drive side is even with the edge of the frame.  Anymore there would be a gap between the spool and the frame.  I also go as far as to loose all side plate screws/thum screws and tighten them in sequence like you would on the nuts on a car tire.  I want to know what cause this problem.  Does the spool is not place correctly on the shaft from factory?  Is the shaft is not going in straight into the bearing on the drive side?  Does anyone has an answer to this?  I am still waiting to hear back from Akios about this issue after I wrote them an email yesterday.

Thanks Ronn

Thanks.

Black Pearl

Quote from: Ronn on March 09, 2011, 04:16:59 PM
Hello,
I have question for the issue I see on this reel that I just received from UK.  The Akios 757CTM is very similar to Abu 7000i interm of the construction and design.  The problem I have is, out of the box with the spool centered inside the frame, when I applied drag and pulled out line, the drag would be very jerky and the spool makes a sound like the shaft or something is scraping/binding on the right side of the reel.  At first it looks like the spool is rubbing against the frame...but it not.  I took the spool apart and look at the internals and found no scratches.  This only happen when drag is set anywhere from 1 lbs and up.  Now at this condition, the reel has no problem with the free spool or when retrieving.  At higher drag setting the spool just lock up.  I check the clicker pawl on the left side of the spool shaft and the brake weight mechanism on the right side of the spool and they don't appear to rub on anything. They are both installed correctly.

So I play with the centering of the spool and found that as I back off the right spool tension knob (this reel has two knobs like the abu 6500 or 7500/7000, normally this knob is set tight and only the left side knob is used to set tension on the spool) the problem started to go away (I tighten the left knob such that there is a slight or no knock on the spool when it is in free spool).  Now it works just fine but the spool is no longer centered in the frame.  The edge of spool on the drive side is "inside" the drive side frame by about 1-2 mm (edge of spool to edge of frame) and the edge of the spool on the non-drive side is even with the edge of the frame.  Anymore there would be a gap between the spool and the frame.  I also go as far as to loose all side plate screws/thum screws and tighten them in sequence like you would on the nuts on a car tire.  I want to know what cause this problem.  Does the spool is not place correctly on the shaft from factory?  Is the shaft is not going in straight into the bearing on the drive side?  Does anyone has an answer to this?  I am still waiting to hear back from Akios about this issue after I wrote them an email yesterday.

Thanks Ronn

Thanks.

Hi Ronn,

That is actually OMOTO 7000CTM. Anyway, please check inside of both knobs (right and left). Please make sure there are 3 pieces of square washers inside of each knobs. You might be missing one. Let me know if you are missing some, and I can send missing pieces.

I can call me at 561-568-3980.

Thanks,
--Alan C.

This is OMOTO 7000CTM I sell....

Ronn

Hello Alan,
Thank you for your suggestions.  I finally found out what went wrong with my reel.  First, I have to say that Akios customer service is excellent.  The engineer has communicated with me a few times and send me a spare spool to try out because they were thinking mine might has a bent shaft.  I tried out the new spool and same problem is still there.  The reel would make binding noise when I engage drag anywhere greather than 1.5 lbs.  What I found out is that when I played around with the thumb screws, I loose them and then pull on drag vs tighten them with thumb pressure force, the noise was reduced as those thumb screws get tighter and tighter.  I was able to put more drag out before it started binding again.  This time I used a screw driver to tighten those thumb screws 1.5 turn more after it was tighten by hand.  The noise was totally disappear and it is normal.  I removed shims from the right side spool knob and centered the spool and it doesn't make noise anymore.  Now none of my abu 7500s would do this even with loose thumb screws.  Look like the pinion gear is the one that cause the binding sound.  I inspected the pinion gear and found no damage.  The reel casts great.  I have a souped up calcutta 400 BSV and this thing cast farther than that reel using same rod and bigger line and same weight.  Drag on this reel is also smooth and look like they are the carbontex type drag washers.

I don't know much about this reel.  What do you think of it?  The quality seems to be a notch better than abu reels (the newer ones). Akios is new company similar to Omoto that you had mentioned.  Thanks Alan.

Bobby

Black Pearl

Quote from: Ronn on March 21, 2011, 01:30:19 PM
Hello Alan,
Thank you for your suggestions.  I finally found out what went wrong with my reel.  First, I have to say that Akios customer service is excellent.  The engineer has communicated with me a few times and send me a spare spool to try out because they were thinking mine might has a bent shaft.  I tried out the new spool and same problem is still there.  The reel would make binding noise when I engage drag anywhere greather than 1.5 lbs.  What I found out is that when I played around with the thumb screws, I loose them and then pull on drag vs tighten them with thumb pressure force, the noise was reduced as those thumb screws get tighter and tighter.  I was able to put more drag out before it started binding again.  This time I used a screw driver to tighten those thumb screws 1.5 turn more after it was tighten by hand.  The noise was totally disappear and it is normal.  I removed shims from the right side spool knob and centered the spool and it doesn't make noise anymore.  Now none of my abu 7500s would do this even with loose thumb screws.  Look like the pinion gear is the one that cause the binding sound.  I inspected the pinion gear and found no damage.  The reel casts great.  I have a souped up calcutta 400 BSV and this thing cast farther than that reel using same rod and bigger line and same weight.  Drag on this reel is also smooth and look like they are the carbontex type drag washers.

I don't know much about this reel.  What do you think of it?  The quality seems to be a notch better than abu reels (the newer ones). Akios is new company similar to Omoto that you had mentioned.  Thanks Alan.

Bobby
Actually, All Akios reel products are made by OMOTO. Anyway, since I know a lot of stuffs inside of OMOTO, I don't think I should give any comments on it. I might be too bias...