Anyone with experience with Canyon Reels

Started by Ellis Feibush, March 23, 2011, 12:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ellis Feibush

I may have  missed any discussion about these reels in previous posts but I attended a Salt Water Expo this weekend and saw a very interesting reel. So many of the new major manufacturer's reels are starting to look like Avet reels and my question involves a reel which looks exactly like one of the small SX series of reels. Is anyone familiar with a reel called the HS-15 reel made by Canyon Reels? They claim these reels have undergone major testing and advertise that they use Cal's Grease and Corrosion X in their reels. They manufacture small inshore reels as well as larger offshore trolling reels in both single and two-speeds. Also these reels come with a two-year manufacturer's waranty. Would greatly appreciate any information from anyone who has had any experience with any of these Canyon reels.

alantani

got the photos shot for a full tutorial for the single speed 30.  nice reel.  still gotta run the reel through it's paces.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Black Pearl

It is the same reel sells under the name Black Marlin in AU, and I know that Black Marlin is made in China. It is the same company made Zelina, Red Pig and etc...

The Canyon company claims that their reels are assembled in the US with all inner and outer parts from everywhere in the world.

As far as I know that it costs more money to import fishing parts from outside USA (heavy duty tax).

That is all I know about it (Black Marlin).

Ellis Feibush

Thanks Alan and Black Pearl Fishing for responding. Guess I'll have to wait awhile for this one and do a bit more research on this brand. They seem to be a bit more expensive than their competitors. Now that the Avet brand has become so expensive there seems to be a lot of Avet "wanna be's". It seems the smallness of the Avet reels has caused a lot of the major manufacturers to come out with similar small reels. Shimano, Daiwa and Okuma are among the major manufacturers that have come out with reels similar to the Avet, and some of these new reels are excellent. With the new thin braided line and some of the new thin monofilament lines, these reels fill the bill for the light tackle fishermen wanting to downsize their equipment. I believe, as I noticed at the tackle expo, this tendency toward smaller reels is just the tip of the iceberg. We will see a lot more of this down sized equipment before it's over.

reelgood

It turns out avet were perhaps not the best reel to copy, being that the small avet models can be had so cheaply due to the huge number on the secondary market

Irish Jigger

Interesting discussion on another forum re Canyon Reels,assembled in the US.

http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f60/canyon-reels-15387/

Black Pearl

I have posted this in this site once. Here you go again. The following link is the Black Marlin. You can see that it is the same reel and the box is the same with the exception of the name.

http://www.blackmarlintackle.com/index.php?page=reels---game

Black Widow Tackle

You may also want to look at MTK reels, same reel just more options so far:)

Black Pearl

Quote from: Black Widow Tackle on March 26, 2011, 04:21:14 PM
You may also want to look at MTK reels, same reel just more options so far:)
Yep, all these reels are from the same manufacturer who made Zelina, Red Pig, and etc in China. I really think this manufacturer might come out with a pretty good reel this time.

reelgood

Well it's not like they have to make a watch movement, they should be able to make a good fishing reel especially since they have their pick of proven designs to copy. 

I took apart a John Baker 4 reel, and there is nothing good to say about it despite being made in the USA by an "expert".  Sure the frame is overbuilt by about 3x, but then it has tiny screws in key areas of use, machining burrs and sloppiness everywhere, and of course does not want to stay in low gear like so many of them despite having the upgraded shifter.  So he was basically a guy in his basement that if he made it a 1 speed would have had a pretty solid reel.... a modern factory in china or anywhere else should be able to make a better reel today than avet designed 8 years ago or whenever and a basically new avet SX runs $150 or so, not much room to maneuver there.  Are the reels better than Avets?  I don't know I'll never buy either of them