Tib Frame Screw Hole Alignment Problem

Started by Frank, October 16, 2013, 09:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

I have 2 Tib frames on my P322 Newells. On both of these reels I had to make the screw holes on the inner rings a little larger to line up with the Tiburon frame screw holes. I checked the Tib frames on G and No Letter series inner rings and found them to have the same screw misalignment problem. Did anyone ever run into this on your conversions? Thanks.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Tunacious

I'd like to know also. This isn't the first time I've heard of this issue.

I don't have any Tib frames yet but was going to eventually purchase them for my original P322's/332's and NL 533.

Newell Nut

You will sometimes find a couple holes just a couple thousandths off on the inner ring. The rings were mass produced and punched and not perfect. I have had this on a couple. You will also find that when trying to interchange inner rings on reels that some will not fit. The rings did not all come from the same shop over the years. Take a small round file and open the holes on the rings or you will destroy screw threads.
Nothing wrong with the Tiburon frame on this matter.
Tiburon has made some boo boos on spools recently and some spool spindles were too large for the ID of bearings.

Tunacious

Ok, that's good to know that the Tib frames are fine. I'm use to the rings not always lining up.

Frank

I just don't care for making the screw holes oversized. The whole idea for going with a Tib frame is to improve alignment and rigidity. By making the screw holes bigger you are increasing the slop factor. I have three Accurate frames on other Newell 300 series reels and never ran into this problem. I guess it comes down to what production of Newell rings were used for setting up drilling and threading of the frames.

Newell Nut

A couple thousandths is not slop and you will find that it is just on one side of the hole and really just enough not to chew up threads. Once assembled you will never know. The most important thing is to grease all mating surfaces to prevent electrolysis.

Frank

You must have had better luck with your inner ring hole placement Newell Nut. Mine had to opened up quite a bit to fit the frame. The holes that secure the sideplate screws were the worst. Trust me, I'm not a newbie to Newells. I've been fishing and repairing them since early eighties and Penn's since the sixties. As far as I'm concerned when you have to start drifting holes to make something fit it's slop. 

Newell Nut

That sounds strange. Did your outer ring and screws line up okay? Did your spool spin okay? I have only had maybe three reels that only needed a couple thou on two holes and it was usually the two holes on the right side and on the front half of the inner ring. Never had a problem on a left side ring.

If you cut a bunch then it could be a Tiburon problem unless the spool spins nice without rubbing on the edge of the inner ring.

Frank

Problem is on the left and right inner rings. If you install any combo of two screws the other four holes are out of alignment and have to be enlarged. The two holes that secure the sideplates to the inner rings need the most work. If you can get the two bottom screws installed (reel stand screws) without making the screw holes any larger and widen the other four holes then there is no problem with the spool rubbing the inner rings.

Newell Nut

Sounds more like a Tiburon problem to me and should be returned.