Rail Rod Guides

Started by GotMojo, October 16, 2013, 10:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GotMojo

Greetings,

I have (4) 7' Calstar rail rods that I'm going to have wrapped. I'd like to hear some recommendations as to what would be the best guides. I've heard good things about the Fuji HBSG's. Any suggestions would be appreciated
They will be used for 80# - 130#.

Thanks

Marlinmate

those are good guides...but really only recommended for 20-30lb test.

The HB Series is a New Heavy Duty Boat Rod Guide for 20 to 30lb class rods. This particular series has a new Arc-Shaped, Stainless-Steel frame which increases the overall guide's strength, hardness and corrosion resistance. A sloped, shorter length frame adds to rod flexibility and less line tangling. Fuji's new embossed feature helps keep the foot from sliding out from under the thread.

By increasing structural and material strengths, the HB Series gives the angler a guide that is much lighter than the LR series. Once again, these features add to overall performance of the rod. The HB Series is available in sizes up to a 25 and comes in Silicone Carbide and Silicone Nitride II rings for use in all fishing applications and conditions.
FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

GotMojo

Thanks for the clarification. Do you have a recommendation for my rail rods?

Marlinmate

do a google search for Salty Dawg Rods......he's in CA.   He builds tons of Rail Rods.   He would be a good source of knowledge.   
FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

SoCalAngler

Alot of the guys are using Fuji heavy duity guides and American Tackle's Turbo titanium guides. On rail rods it seems everyone has come full circle and use ring guides. (pun intended) :)

otownjoe

I did a lot of Searching on this topic when I built my rail rods.I went with hbsg..

Bryan Young

it's a matter of cost as well.  There are some Ti guides that work very well.  I think they are made by American Tackle.  The design are better than Fuji's where the rings do not pop out when the guide gets banged. You and just bend the guide back.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jeri

Hi  'GotMojo',

Can't offer comments on any of the Am Tac rings, as we tend only to use Fujis, and from the spec sheets that we have from Fuji, I think the rings you are probably looking for are the latest 'RB' series. They are basically the heavy duty version of the 'HB' series, as both styles have the ceramic inserts mounted in a 'cup' section, and are glued in – avoids the possibility of the inserts 'popping' out.

The main difference is that the 'RB' series have the rearward legs coming to the sides of the blank, rather than on top, like traditional rings. When you find a supplier, they will probably offer a choice of ceramic insert – and basically Silicone Carbide are probably the best for heat dissipation and friction, while Silicone Nitride are next down the scale, then perhaps lastly Alconite. All are braid friendly, and given that you are looking to use then on a serious rod for fast running fish, any of the above inserts will do.

The one thing that these guides will do, when compared with more traditional rings, is that they will be slightly stiffer across the footprint of the ring – less flexible – especially if you have them underwhipped.

Hope that helps.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

WeSeekHer Rods

On the rail rods I've been building I've been using the AmTak Virtus HD's in either black steel or solid titanium.  I've but these on Super Seeker SS-CTSF55XXXH as well as the Calstar 770H, XH and XXH.  Had one ring get chipped due to bad packing for the trip home, but no complaints from the fisherman.