How hot do drags really get?

Started by locknut, October 18, 2013, 08:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

locknut

Gidday from New Zealand. I am rebuilding the drags in a couple of Duel 6/0 reels. I have had new CF Rings Laser cut and now I need to glue the Carbon fibre (Big thanks to Dawn) to them. I have beefed up the number of springs under the drag stacks to increase the amount of drag as I will be loading the reels with 37Kg braid for Broadbill. With 30Kg of drag at sunset how hot will the drags get during a long run? You here all sorts of stories of reels overheating and drags failing but does anyone actually know. The reason I ask is I am unsure what glue to use. I note that epoxy can soften depending on type from 90-130 C and some super glues will go to 150 C. Am I over thinking this and just use the first glue that comes to hand. Your experiences would be great

Dynamo

Drags can get pretty hot during a long run, nor enough to burn a scar into your arm. That's mostly with star drags, however. The duel is a high-end reel w. large drag plates, so I'd imagine it wouldn't get too hot. If you're concerned, then Cal's grease on the washers should absorb most of the heat. Cheers  ;)

Robert Janssen

I have tested and measured many to excess of 200*C.

Regular epoxies and superglues are not adequate.*

Clue: HT-100 stands for High Temperature.

*oh i too have seen internet suggestions of using whatever this-or-that glue. Let that be their concern, not yours.

locknut

Thanks, what would be your suggestion Robert

Shark Hunter

That's a tough one locknut. :-\
I only fish senators, so there is no glue, just HT-100's, washers and Cal's Grease. I can't think of a tougher glue than epoxy.
Life is Good!

Bunnlevel Sharker

I got lit up on my 4/0w this summer from the star on a ray. LD should be fine
Grayson Lanier

Robert Janssen

Ok...What is going on here... these are the same reels you posted about a couple of years ago, right? And what material are you bonding to what- carbontex to stainless substrate? Or laminated type one-sided fiberglass sheet to winged discs you cut from.... what? Or two one-sided fiberglass sheets back-to-back?

About temperature and strength and is-it-good-enough-to-get-by thinking, part of the thing is, that these are not your reels. For all you know, they might hook up to a world-record blue marlin next week. So, see to it that they are the best they can be.

Bonding agents for hi-temperature applications are hard to find, especially outside of the industrial sector. I've spent a LOT of time searching for them and talking with industry experts at 3M Aerospace and similar about hi-temp bonding applications, but it quickly gets out of hand.. (like, i don't own Lockheed, ok? I just want to make drag washers..)

Regular epoxies (Araldite and similar) are seldom good to more than 100*C or so. Loctite has some stuff that holds to higher temperatures initially, but there is a drastic drop as soon as temperatures get higher.

Here are a couple of discs i made for an Everol a whle back, by laminating first the carbon cloth to a substrate to make the actual friction material, and then bonding that to stainless discs.

This is a drag testing apparatus i used to run tests of many materials under similar circumstances, while keeping tabs on temperature, RPM, time, etc.

PS: I've noticed that the picture above has been borrowed and reposted somewhere a number of times without my knowledge. Curiosity is driving me crazy. If somebody has seen it before, please tell me where!

locknut

That's some rig Robert, thanks for your thoughts, I am bonding the Carbontex to 304 Stainless plate as the Duel drags are a multi disk stacked drag.

Thanks Jeremy

Alto Mare

Doc, I haven't seen these pictures before, but can't blame anyone for downloading them.
Put up some videos of you in action, I would pay to see them and I'm sure so would anyone else.....just beautiful work!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Robert Janssen

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 19, 2013, 09:48:27 AM
Doc, I haven't seen these pictures before, but can't blame anyone for downloading them.

No, i don't mind. Just curious. It is kind of a specialized subject after all. (Photobucket used to have a little chart function showing how many views each pic had. This one used to get sudden spikes through the roof; i cant figure out where from. This one, and one of a disassembled hydraulic jack is overwhelmingly popular (?!) )

Jeremy, okay- Carbontex is of an open weave construction. One needs to be careful to not allow the adhesive to bleed through the fabric. Use sparingly.