PENN Fathom SD 4.8:1 ratio SS Gear Set.

Started by Black Pearl, October 21, 2013, 09:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowfin263

Got my gears. It was very easy to change out. Now can't wait to fish it. Thanks Alan.

Keta

Could be one of 2 thing.  Is the yoke beveled on one side where the lines are red?  If so the beveled side goes toward the eccentric jack. , if not file a bevel.   Is the yoke hitting where it is green?  If so file the green lines until it clears.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rivverrat

Hey Lee, Thank you for this reply I will give this a try...Jeff

Rivverrat

Well after some issues with the original reel I have the new gear set in. As expected this gear set completely changed the performance of the reel. Changing it into a better tool for my purpose. Gears work almost as smooth as original set with none of the roughness some are speaking of. Some may find this benefit I give it as a suggestion...if everything is working proper & you still have some roughness tie your line off on something solid, set your drag heavy & strip off line. This can help in some cases. If after doing this several times there is no difference or the reel makes noise while cranking the handle in free spool new parts may be in order.

What I'm finding is that the eccentric jack & yoke need to be in good shape or it can show up as roughness with this gear set. Keeping the reel from full engaging or disengaging. Like to say Lee was a big help in getting me going in the right direction in fixing this. Also it helps to have 3 of these reels on hand...Jeff 

Rivverrat

Here are some pics to show something that can become  a big issue when making use of this good gear set.The eccentric on the left is the original that came out of my 25N the pin measures 0.241. The one on the right is new it measures 0.266. Big difference in the length of the pins. This longer one stays seated better in the eccentric jack not jumping out as easily.

I you are experiencing roughness or chatter while cranking the reel in gear or out this would be a good place to look. If the pin is jumping out of its slot in the eccentric jack you will most times see a streak/mark on the jack right below the slot the eccentric pin rides in. If this is happening it will keep your reel from completely engaging or possibly going completely into free spool.
Again I would like to thank Lee/Keta for his willingness to help me with this. He was a big help in getting me headed in the right direction & finding this issue. Lee,  I'm very grateful.

I hope this is a benefit to some of one....Jeff      

spize909

I got my kit the other day after some VERY fast shipping and sat down to install it and do a little reel service at the same time today.
All was going well until I tried to slip the pinion gear into the yoke. The groove in the gear is way to small for the yoke to go into.
I emailed Alan (on a Sat) and replied very fast to file the groove until it works or send it back with the yoke and they could do it.

I don't have a file that small but could get one but I'm a little concerned I may Fudge it up. I don't necessarily want to hassle sending it back but I'm a little on trying to take that much material out of a stainless piece.
Opinions?

Rivverrat

Yokes are cheap try making the yoke fit the existing groove. However could you post some pics of what your dealing with? That might help my self & others help you better....Jeff

spize909

Thanks. I got it.
The groove in the pinion was too tight for the yoke. The yoke was .075" and the groove was probably about .07" or so. I had a fat cutting wheel on my dremel and carefully used the flat edge of the wheel to grind the goove a little wider on the pinion. Got it all back together and it works great and everything meshes well and feels smooth, even with the new stainless gear.
Sorry, no pics, too late ;D

eguinn

Hi, I'm thinking about getting a 4.8 to 1 gear set for my Fathom 30 star drag, but I do have some questions about some of the problems I've been reading about. 1st, are people having problems with wearing out or excessive wear on the stock brass Penn yokes when they install these gear sets in their reels, also I see that some people are having to sand the new SS yokes because they are a little bit thicker, and they are having to chamfer the openings around  the U shaped part where the pinion gears slides in & out, I'm refering to the diagram I've seen on here. I'd like to order a set but I just wanted to check on these couple of things I've been reading about. Thanks Ed

Black Pearl

Quote from: eguinn on November 02, 2016, 11:23:35 PM
  Hi, I'm thinking about getting a 4.8 to 1 gear set for my Fathom 30 star drag, but I do have some questions about some of the problems I've been reading about. 1st, are people having problems with wearing out or excessive wear on the stock brass Penn yokes when they install these gear sets in their reels, also I see that some people are having to sand the new SS yokes because they are a little bit thicker, and they are having to chamfer the openings around  the U shaped part where the pinion gears slides in & out, I'm refering to the diagram I've seen on here. I'd like to order a set but I just wanted to check on these couple of things I've been reading about. Thanks Ed

I think the some yoke are made in stainless steel. It is a custome parts, and it might require a little sanding on the yoke. I have not seen any yoke needs to opening the U shaped.

eguinn

What I was saying was that some of them had to be chamfered at the bottom of the opening so that there is more clearance for the yoke to slide up & down easier, it sounded like some of them would hang up a little going from free spool to being put in gear or vice a versa, kinda of like they might have been hanging up on the sharp corners when you are in free spool & push the lever to push the yoke down when it goes into gear. I didn't mean that there was not enough clearance between the OD of the slot at the bottom of the pinion gear & the width or diameter of the slot in the yoke. I think the opening of the slot in the yoke was/is fine.

eguinn

Hi, Iwas trying to order a gear set for the Penn fathom from your site, I've complrtrd my registration & placed the order but I don't know if it went through Ok,When I went to checkout your site didn't do anything. Maybe you can confirm that it went thru Ok, if noy send me a invoice & I'll pay with Paypal if that's Ok with you. Thanks ed

Black Pearl

Quote from: eguinn on November 03, 2016, 03:41:58 PM
Hi, Iwas trying to order a gear set for the Penn fathom from your site, I've complrtrd my registration & placed the order but I don't know if it went through Ok,When I went to checkout your site didn't do anything. Maybe you can confirm that it went thru Ok, if noy send me a invoice & I'll pay with Paypal if that's Ok with you. Thanks ed

Hi Ed,

Square which hosts my site placed three orders of this gear set on your card. I refunded 2 orders back to your card.

Let me know if you have any questions.

eguinn

Will these gears also fit the Fathom 12 star drag reel? Thanks

Black Pearl

Quote from: eguinn on November 08, 2016, 03:22:16 AM
Will these gears also fit the Fathom 12 star drag reel? Thanks

It fits all Fathom SD models.