bearing packer (mm and inch), adaptor and needle kit - back in stock 7/23/2020

Started by alantani, April 07, 2010, 05:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NZMatt

mike1010

Despite the wealth of information in this thread, I need more help with the bearing packer, which I got because it seemed a cool addition to my new hobby.

I got some new bearings for my avet mxl from Dawn at smoothdrag.  The original avet bearings are sealed.  To my newby eyes, the smoothdrag ones look shielded.  All the better; should be easier to pack without opening them.  Well, a few gobs of grease and several hours later, I am ready to throw in the (greasy) towel.

One thing I may have learned:  push the grease into the packer slooowwwly.  Doing that, the brake bearing oozed some grease around the shield, and I declared victory.  The drive shaft and pinion bearings were another matter.  The only grease appearing on the exposed side of those bearings was oozing around the inner and outer diameters.  I am definitely using the right packer (English, not metric).  I am afraid more pressure holding the two packer halves together would trash the bearing races (and I've already got a worn out pinion bearing, thanks).

Any ideas?  Thanks.

BTW, I removed, cleaned, and greased the MC assembly on this reel.  No trick, of course.  Getting it back in the reel took some effort.  There are a tiny ball and spring that work with the dial detent.  The magnets keep wanting to pull the ball and spring out of position as you put things together.  If there is interest, I will post a little tutorial, though the wizards on this board may have figured it out long ago.

Mike

Cmepen

I pm'ed you hoping you have more of these items in stock.
Thank you for all you do for your fellow fisherman.
Einar

alantani

yes, still have them.  i got your e-mail.  thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

yes, they are back in stock.  send me a pm with your address and i will get one shipped out to you!

mysad

Hi Alan,

1st of all, great site.  It has been very helpful in maintaining my reels for long-range trips.  How can I purchase the bearing packer, adaptor and needle kit?  Thanks.

alantani

send me a pm with your address and i will get one shipped out.  i'll need you to mail me a check.  i am done with paypal unless it's an overseas shipment. 

Mudman

Got my kit last week, photos don't do it any justice. It's VERY well made with excellent tolerance. Showed it to my co-worker, he didn't even know what it was. The first comment he made, was regarding how impressed he was with the machining.

steelhead_killer

I found a wonder birthday gift in the mailbox today!  My new bearing packers and a Taniwrench!  Oh and some extra love needles!  Thank Alan great products!   ;D 
><)))">

alantani

alantani