Carl Newell

Started by alantani, April 08, 2010, 11:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

Quote from: slip tip on April 08, 2010, 07:18:56 PM
I was very sorry to hear about Carl's passing. I remember years ago, must have been around 1982 or so, that I happen to be in the area of his facility. I stopped in with a "list" of spare parts that I wanted for my Newell reels. The nice lady at the desk was helping me, and then lo and behold, in walked Carl. When he saw the parts that I was getting he said" I do hope that my reels didn't fall apart on you". I laughed and replied that I was only picking up a few extras in case I lost any. I then told him I owned (at the time) five of his reels and thought the world of them. I still have those reels, the original "P" series.
I found Carl to be a warm and friendly man, earger to talk about fishing and his fishing reels. We must have spent a good 20 minutes in the foyer of the office talking about his reels. He then told me that he was working on new projects he thought would be an improvement or useful for the fisherman.
Every now and then, I think about that day when I met the inventer of the Newell Reel.

Great site you have here Alan!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!