Bryan's 5+1 stacking in a 631 7+1

Started by Newell Nut, October 17, 2013, 10:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

I tested the arrangement yesterday and ended up with a 7 stack in my 631. After assembly I tightened the star and then lifted a 40 lb dumbbell with no slippage. The star was not tight and I did not do any running test. That was hard to do with a 7 foot rod. I loosened the drag and then walked away with a straight rod and it slipped smoothly at 30 lb on the scale.

Bryan Young

Wow, that's impressive.  Thanks for the info.

I don't have any 600 series Newells. Are the metal drag washers the same size?  I may be able to put 600 kits together if that is the case.  Would you please measure the depth of the gear and did you use the belleville that I supplied with the kit?

I know for sure that the guys in Hawaii would love a ket for the 600 Series Newells.

Thank you.
Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

The 500 and 600 use the same washers. I used the Newell Belleville and I also used .6mm CFs that I cut. This forced me to use one of your keyed washers on top of the stack. The .5mm CF would have allowed the heavier top washer.

Would you like to bower a 631 to play with for ideas?

Dynamo

That was hard to do with a 7 foot rod.

If you don't mind me asking, which rod length do you find comfortable doing running tests on?

Newell Nut

I keep the rod horizontal and pointed at the weight that I am pulling against. All my rods are seekers and calstars. For the lifting test I used a 7' Seeker Hercules with spiral wrapped guides.

Bryan
The depth of the 600 gear for washers is .365".

Tunacious

This test is encouraging. I've been "petitioning" Tiburon for awhile to make frames for the 631's. Their reply has always been "not in the immediate future". Well, if this 7+1 system works, that's just more ammunition to use with Tiburon. This new drag system will get more people to purchase the kits AND at the same time they'd want to get a Tib kit to make the entire reel bullet proof. ;D

Tib has already made a short run of the 646 frames for the Hawaiian fishermen and they've sold quite well. ;D

Newell Nut

I would like a couple of 631 frames. I picked up 40 lb with the stock frame and the Tib frame would make it a light weight beast at 24 oz.

Dynamo

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D